cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Hardware Encryption AND Compression

Jason678703
Level 2

Wondering if there is an official Symantec position on using Hardware Encryption AND Hardware Compression on backups to tape (provided the drive does the encryption supported by BE)?  I've seen stuff warning about Hardware Compression and Software Encryption, and I thought in previous BE versions, it was one or the other, not both.  Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to use compression and encryption, you should use either both software compression and encryption or both hardware compression and encryption.  You should not use software encryption with hardware compression or software compression and hardware encryption.  In other words, do not mix hardware and software methods.  See my article below.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

In your case, you should use both hardware compression and encryption.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not aware of any issues using hardware compression and hardware encryption at the same time.  The tape drive does all the work.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to use compression and encryption, you should use either both software compression and encryption or both hardware compression and encryption.  You should not use software encryption with hardware compression or software compression and hardware encryption.  In other words, do not mix hardware and software methods.  See my article below.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

In your case, you should use both hardware compression and encryption.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hardware compression is performed once the encryption (hardware) is complete. Encryption will cause the data to be randomized and as such you may not achieve a good ratio of compression.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is not true.  I get roughly the same compression ratio with hardware compression regardless of whether I enable hardware encryption or not. I think it is the other way around.  Regardless of hardware or software, encryption is done AFTER compression.

If what you say is true, then using both hardware compression and hardware encryption will be equivalent to using hardware compression with software encryption.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I am pretty sure compression is done AFTER software encryption. Have a look @ the last statement of this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22983

Though, I can double-check if this is true for hardware as well or not. Probably best to confirm with the hardware vendor if the device encrypts first or compresses first.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is what the document says, "Symantec recommends that you avoid using hardware compression with software encryption".  This is does not say you cannot do hardware encryption with hardware compression. The document is supporting what I have said earlier about using hardware compresssion with software encryption.