cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Hyper-V errors/questions

ddorton
Level 4

Hello,

I am trying to backup 3 2012 R2 servers with Hyper-V installed.  I am using Backup Exec 2014 SP1 and all machines have the Hyper-V agent installed.  All virtual machines have vhdx dynamic disks.  Files are first backed up to disk on the media server then backed up to LTO6 tape.

It appears that the backup to disk part of the job is working properly but the dupilicate to tape jobs typically (but not always) generate these errors:

Final error: 0xe0009741 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images. Restores that use Granular Recovery Technology may not be available from this backup set.

How do I resolve this issue?  Do I need to convert all of my dynamic vhdx files to fixed?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Different error below, but give it a read as it relates to dynamic disks:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200150

Also refer to the TNs below which relate to your error:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148759

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
GRT of dynamic disks are not supported. See page 31 of the SCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478. Turn off GRT for your backups or backup your VM's as if they are physical machines

ddorton
Level 4

Without GRT I cannot restore individual files, I have to restore the entire machine correct?  

Do you know if switching from dynamic to fixed disks will solve the issue?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  This is correct.  Alternatively, you can back it up as if it is a physical machine, but recovery will be more difficult.

Note that dynamic disks in the SCL refers to dynamic disks in the VM sense and not dynamic disks of the OS kind.  If you change to basic disks in the VM sense, then you can do GRT.

ddorton
Level 4

Ok, I am confused.  I came across this thread which you also commented on:

http://mcsv2.net/connect/zh-hans/forums/problem-hyper-v-virtual-machine-snapshot-backup-grt-isn-t-working-v-79-57344-38721

So Backup Exec does support hyper-v guests on dynamically expanding disks so long as the guest machine does not contain dynamically expanding disks within?

- Edit - 

I think I see now that this does not apply to the vhd type (fixed vs dynamically resizing) but rather the disk type (dynamic vs basic) within the VM.

kf2013
   VIP   

I think CraigV and PKH mean the dynamic disk inside the VM and not the VHDX/VHD.

I have exactly the issue and I have logged a call to Symantec.

The case is passed to Backup Exec advance team and they have collected SGMON log.

I am waiting for their reply now.

ddorton
Level 4

Yes, that appears to be the case.  I don't know why my backups were failing with that error messages, they VHDX files were dynamic but the disk was basic inside the VM.  I am trying to replicate the errors again now.

kf2013
   VIP   

I have a exactly issue. luckily, it just happens in differential backup intermittently.

Symantec advance team support will collect the debug log again today.

ddorton
Level 4

I had a few good days but one backup failed last night.  It was during the duplicate to disk stage.  

Final error: 0xe0009741 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images. Restores that use Granular Recovery Technology may not be available from this backup set.
Final error category: Resource Errors

kf2013
   VIP   

I never encounter an error when duplicate to disk.

My backup job is backup to disk and then duplicate to tape. The error would happen when duplicate to tape in differential job. Symantec Advance team is still investigating the issue now.

is your job similar to mine?

ddorton
Level 4

Yes, I believe we have the same exact problem.  Please let me know what you find out.

kf2013
   VIP   

Do you duplicate a backup set to two different tapes at the same time?

ddorton
Level 4

So, I still don't have any resolution to my issue.  Last night I ran full backups on 5 physical machines, 3 of them are Hyper-V hosts containing a total of 7 virtual machines.  All of the backup to disk jobs ran successfully however the duplicate to tape jobs failed on two of the three Hyper-V host machines.  Here is the error:

Job ended: Friday, January 23, 2015 at 11:55:56 PM
Completed status: Failed

Any ideas?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does the duplicate run on a schedule or immediately after the source job completes ?

Have you configured Full & Incr/Diff backup jobs ? If yes, are you duplicating both Full and Incr/Diff ?

Lastly, have you logged a case with Support as well ?

ddorton
Level 4

The duplicate job is setup to run immediately after the source job completes.  Full and Incremental backups are configured and both duplicate from disk to tape.  I have not logged a support case yet.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would recommend to log a case as this would require debugging.

Moopere
Level 2

Adding my data point to the list here, my circumstances are almost idential to the OP's.

Win Server Std 2012R2 backing up to a usb hard disk then duplicated out to an LTO6 Tape drive.  Duplicates and normal backups to this tape drive are failing 90% of the time with the same error:

One of the VM's is XP workstation - this VM consistently fails 'online' backup and instead fails back to 'offline' backup (according to the job log) - am wondering if this is the cause of the tape backup failures ... though the tape failures seem altogether more serious.  Am going to try excluding this XP VM tonight to see what happens.