cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Rev 1786 - Discovering Devices

JCoins18
Level 3

REALLY!!

Sometimes it takes 10 minutes other times it can take 6 hours with no change to the setup. Windows device manager shows the library and tape drives without error but Backup Exec can't discover them. What is up with that? I have made sure that there is only one path to the Tape Library. This is a dual 6 core, 60GB ram server and it takes 6 hours to discover the devices. REALLY! Who takes credit for writing this code?

7 REPLIES 7

JCoins18
Level 3

It might have something to do with "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" hanging up. If I try to restart or stop the services, the "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" hangs until I have to reboot the server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check the Eventlog for any error messages

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you shouldn't have too if you can kill the processes. Do this with Task Manager or something like tskill.

Thanks!

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Have you tried power cycling the tape device by executing the steps in the order they are listed below:

1. Power down the Backup Exec Server
  2. Power down the tape device
  3. Once the device is fully powered down, power the tape device back on
  4. Wait until the device is fully powered up and ready for a command
  5. Power on the Backup Exec Server

DKM-AN
Level 2

Been working on same error.

A few things I have discovered.

The Discovering Resources may have nothing to do with discovering tape or disk drives on a local server.

This version also has an option turned on by default to do a network discovery looking for any other BE servers.  Not to harmful on a small network.  Completely brings you to a standstill on a large network.

There is a setting in the configuration settings that can be used to turn this off.  Which I did of course.

If I want it to connect to other servers, I'ld like to be the one to tell it where to go.  So to speak.

It helped on some of my Discovery seaches, but I still have one differental job that doesn't want to let go.

My next step is to rebuild that job and hope that brings an end to it.

During my work, I also ran a repair from the control panel programs section.  There was a comment I found about reparing the database, if rebuilding the software didn't work.  I've heard of a couple of  patches out there in the comments, but the one's I found had no links posted or even the number of the patch - next to useless post.

I'ld give you exact step by step through the settings, but My server is shut down waiting on a remote end restart.  Sorry.

Hope this gives at least some new thoughts.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Verify services are configured properly and permissions are being met. The service account needs the requirements as listed here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36718

Also make sure the services are set to run under the BE service account EXCEPT for the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems and the Backup Exec Error Recording Service. The two mentioned services should be running under the local system account.

Try referring to the following documentation for any possibilities of the tape device causing the issue: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

You can also try going to the storage tab, right clicking on the device and selecting the option to "Pause". Wait about a minute or two and then unselect the pause option, restart services and see if the issue still persists.

DKM-AN
Level 2

After researching a bit, I found that in 2014, if you remove a tape library and then add it back (common troubleshooting practice) it may not come back all the way as expected. 

I deleted the library from within BE2014, did a full uninstall, uninstalled and reloaded the drivers in system devices and reinstalled the BE20014 software.

No more long searches. Everything works - mostly.

My Last Entry.