cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 SP1 broke Hyper-V GRT

bdodds1
Level 2

Ever since I updated Backup Exec 2014 to SP1 using Liveupdate, my Hyper-V GRT backups fail and I cannot restore individual files. This makes filer server restores hard, and renders the software pretty useless.

I rang tech support and they tried to tell me that GRT doesnt work on GPT disks, unfortunately for me the representative is grossly misinformed.

He also tried to tell me that this doesnt work on drives over 2Tb, again, misinformed, as this issue is only applicable to VMWare.

Basically this person would not listen to me when I said its been working for months and the last successful GRT backup was around the 6/10/2014. He just kept telling me that GPT disks are not compatible with GRT, which is wrong and completely irrelevant.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Error message: The job failed with the following error: Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images. Restores that use Granular Recovery Technology may not be available from this backup set. 

Media Server: Windows 2012 x64

Hyper-V Host: Windows 2012 x64

Hyper-V Guest: Windows 2012 x64

5 REPLIES 5

bdodds1
Level 2

I should add that Windows is up to date on all machines concerned and agents are up to date and restarts have been performed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Strictly speaking, the tech support person is not wrong.  Dynamic GPT disks are not supported for GRT.  See page 31 of the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

Check that you meet all the conditions listed on that page.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hello ,

Here is what I know

GPT on Dynamic Disk is not supported.

If you have a mixture of VHD and VHDX and has more than 2 tb than GRT is not supported.

Ref: Admin guide and SCL for BE 2014

bdodds1
Level 2

Basic GPT all round.

There is no mention of a 2TB limit for Hyper-V. I think that was only for BE2010/VMWare(i could be wrong but that doesnt matter as I'm not using BE2010 or VMware).

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Windows 2012 VHDX was supported from BE 2012 SP2 Onwards! The Limit  is listed in Admin guide for Backup exec 2014!!