cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 SP2 - Skipped files during restore to blank disk

outlawbamse
Level 3

Hi,

I am in the process of swapping out an old fileserver with a new one. The old server is almost full, its out of warranty so its about time I did something.

The old server is running Windows 2003 Server on a HP DL360 G2 ( or something close). Filestorage is on a HP EVA SAN.

The new server is running Windows 2012 R2 on a Hyper V 2012 R2 node. The storage is on a HP 3PAR.

Since I had the time I thought I could take a FULL backup of the Fileshare on the old server and restore the FULL backup to the new server, recreate shares on the new server and be a happy admin.

The backup completed successfully on the old server but after the restoring this backup to the new server (using redirect to the new server) I notice that 240 files were skipped

etc:

D:\Avdelinger\Eiendom\BOLIG\HT\Eiendommer\Alle eiendommer\Sjekkliste 01012015.xls already exists on ...

The disk on the new server was blank and no users have access to it. Why and how can the file already exist on disk when I restore this backup set?

The backup server is running Backup Exec 2014 SP2 and the backup set was stored to a Deduplication storage.

My faith in backup Exec is already poor and things like this does not really improve it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

outlawbamse
Level 3

I gave up on BackupExec as a solution and threw it out. For what it counts, thats a least solves my problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your backup, did you select the actual disk location and the share?  If so, then the file in the share is backed up twice.  Hence you have two copies of this file in your backup and during the restore one would be restored before the other.

You should just select the actual disk location and don't select the share.

outlawbamse
Level 3

I have selected the phyiscal folder on disk, and not the share.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked if these "skipped" files are already present on the new server or not ?

If they are, run CatTools to check if these files were backed up earlier or not - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH222803

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you do your restore, did you specify "preserve tree"? When you check the restore location, are the skipped files there or are they missing?

outlawbamse
Level 3

I gave up on BackupExec as a solution and threw it out. For what it counts, thats a least solves my problem.