cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 backing up backup drive error

seafoodecosse
Level 2

Hi,

My backup exec 2014 keeps adding the backup drive in the list of drives to be backed up.  I have 1 backup drive for each day of the week so 7 in total.  however when we change the backup drive in the moring backup exec will then add said backup drive to the list of drives to be backed up, in away it's backup up the backup drive.

backup exec 2014 is set up to backup system state for distaster recovery and it backups the two data drives C and E.  Thats all it shold do it shoudn't backup any other drive.

Any sugestions will be very helpfull

Thanks

Doug

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In the selection list uncheck the server name and then individually select the system state, C and E

drive. Placing a checkmark against the server will backup up all the new drives added to the server. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that when you deselect the entire server, SDR will be turned off. To have SDR on, you would still need to select the entire server and manually exclude the unwanted disks

seafoodecosse
Level 2

Thanks we need to have SDR on.  To manually exclude the unwanted disks I would do this by editing the backup job? or is there a better way

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. There is no other way

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I just remembered. For BE 2014, even though a disk storage is selected for backup. The contents of the disk storage are not backed up. Check the size of your backup sets to confirm this.

seafoodecosse
Level 2

Thanks.  We just changed the backup drive and can see that drive F has added it's self to the backup and looks like it will backup drive F to it's self.  

I have been editing the job for several months to exclude the drives but this doesn't seem to work.

BE2014.png

VJware
Level 6

Have a look @ the last section of this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98839

You can specify a registry key to prevent the backup of the Disk Storage contents.

Colin_Weaver

If the backup drive is always on F:

You should be able to deselect F: and then check in the Details pane (instead of the selection tree pane) and you should see that an exclude has been created - however you might also see if you look in the details pane that you have a conflict of includes and excludes which need to be tidied up.

If however your backup drives all have different letters then you will need a separate exclude for each letter.