cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 does not recognize HP DAT160 USB

Vale46
Level 2

Hello,

I'm new to BE. Actually I've been waiting for the 2014 edition to use on a 2012r2 server.

I installed the product in trial edition and tried to configure storage. My tape, HP DAT 160 USB, is not recognized, so I cannot proceed with the evaluation.

How can I resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards.

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the device listed in the Windows Device Manager?

Have you installed HP's device drivers for the tape device?

In the Windows Event Viewer do you see any errors related to the device?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I don't see it in the HCL, so it is not supported. See the HCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214803

Vale46
Level 2

The device is listed in device manager and no errors in eventviewer.

I tried both with the device enabled and disabled.

I had been reasured by the reseller that the device is supported, at least in the 2012 edition. That is why I bought the device as my blade does not have space for an internal drive.

VJware
Level 6

Pg 61 does list HP DAT 160 via USB, SAS & SCSI. This device is supported with BE 2014.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is a note in the HCL which states that for USB devices, the manufacturer's driver needs to be loaded prior to starting BE. Did you do that?

Vale46
Level 2

The device is listed in HCL. In the footnotes it mentions installing HP drivers. I understand that MS drivers are not compatible or what?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You mentioned that you were using a blade server.  I haven't heard of people using USB tape drives on blade servers before. Is the USB port on the blade itself?  Or is the USB port on the server chassis?

Colin_Weaver

If you open the adamm.log file (located in .\Symantec\backup exec\logs)

and read from the end of the file back up see the latest records does the adamm log show anything that appears to relate to that drive (including any possible errors)

Vale46
Level 2

Hi Colin,

The is no record relating to the drive.

It just starts and ends discovery.

Colin_Weaver

Well that appears to show that we are not detecting the device at all. Probably time for a formal support case for us to look at more thoroughly.