cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 starting delayed catalog before backup is complete

Danny_Caulfield
Level 1

Think this might be a bit of a strange one.

We are using Backup Exec 2014 to backup exchange databases in our environment, each job backs up a single database to local media directly attached to the media server.

Occasionally the backup fails with the error

Final error: 0xe000032c - The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database has failed. You should check for possible data corruption in the Exchange Server that is online.

There is no corruption in the exchange server database, I found an article (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH77402) saying that more than one database being accessed at a time can cause an issue with the same symptons. I don't know for sure that this is the cause but I have noticed a pattern that every time the backup fails the delayed catalog (enabled as an option on the job) actually starts before the backup completes, when that doesn't happen it completes, i have run through the job logs and every one of these failures has the catalog start early.

This has happened on several different servers, backing up different databases. Also it doesn't always affect a database (i may get 1 fail, 10 success then another fail, some DBs ive only seen it happen once), it's not very often per server but it is a problem.

Has anyone else seen this or got any ideas where to start?

1 REPLY 1

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

how is the delayed catalog configured? as a separate job with a specific start time? is the backup still running when the catalog starttime is passed? if yes, try to put your catalog at a time that the backup always has ended.