cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 unable to backup Utility Partitions

EricLang
Level 3

Running BE 2014 - 14.1.1786, which AFAIK is the latest.

On three Dell servers I am unable to backup the Utility Partitions.  One server is the BE server itself, running Server 2008 R2.  The other two are running 2012 R2.   Never had a problem with these before I upgraded from BE 2010 R3.

The error I get is:

V-79-57344-65096 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "Utility Partition". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE000FE48): The function is not implemented.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I have searched the error codes and not come up with anything useful, and also there are no additional details in the Windows Event Viewer. 

Any ideas / suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

for troubleshooting use the Windows backup to see if it can complete successfully. 

SSR_7767
Level 4

Please make sure that the remote agents are upto date.

Backup Exec reads the data on the servers through the remote agent. And the functionality of the same varies with the version of Backup Exec. If the remote servers still run the 2010 agent, you may face this issue.

Make sure that the beremote.exe on both the Backup Exec media server and the remote server are same.

TIP: You may check the version of remote agent of the media server by checking the properties of the beremote.exe file in C:\Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec

On the remote server: C:\Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS

EricLang
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the Windows backup utility, but it does not even see the Dell Utility Partition.

I have updated the agents, but double-checked just to be sure.  The BE server and the two 2012 R2 machines are all running version 14.1.1786.1059 of beremote.exe.

I would simply exclude the utility partition from the backup since it can be re-created using the Dell System Build utility, except that in the BE selection list, it has a green information bubble on it which says "System Critical" so I'm assuming my bacakup is incomplete without it.

lmosla
Level 6

if the servers can rebooted then reboot and try recreating the job 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the backup jobs created via BEMCLI ? If yes, create the backup job via the UI and recheck.

If created via the UI, is it possible to assign drive letter to the utility partition and re-attempt a backup ? (BE 2014 does not require drive letters to protect utility partitions, though previous versions of BE required. Just wanted to check, if drive letters are still required or not)

If it still fails, pls log a support case for us to investigate this issue further.

EricLang
Level 3

The servers have been rebooted multiple times since the agent was installed.

The job was created using the GUI, but as a job in BE 2010 (or maybe even older) and brought along during the upgrade.

I created a new job for just one of the problem servers and ran it, and it completed without that error.  However, I got this error:

Odd that I do not get that with my normal job.

I think at this point, I'll work to get my BE server upgraded to 2012 R2, then create an all new backup job and see where that gets me.

Thanks!