cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 - Data size

elvis_stephen
Level 2
 When using Selection in backup exec to select servers and folders to backup. I would like to know if there is any way to determine what's the size of the data I want to backup before I even start backing up the data.

Most of my backup jobs don't go 100% successfull, so I can't compare how much data I intended to backup versus the size of the data I managed to backup.

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

L_Ivan
Level 3
 hi elvis,

Job estimate requires a bit more time as it does a pre scan, setting is as follows

Tools, options
Scroll to settings-preferences.
Tick "display progress indicators for backup jobs"

Save

Alter the job to suit

Ivan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Right click the job and click "Test Run"

c_john
Level 3
 Hi,

If you allow it to estimate the job time/size it will tell you how much it thinks it's going to backup.  It won't know how well it will compress, but it should tell you overall size.  This is, I believe, a check box on thebackup job - I just don't remember EXACTLY what the option is in 9.1

Also, consider creating smaller jobs.  Create two smaller jobs and run them every other night.  Backup folders A-M one night and N-Z the next.

Also, what kind of backups are you doing?  Differentials?  Fulls?  Incrementals?

John

L_Ivan
Level 3
 hi elvis,

Job estimate requires a bit more time as it does a pre scan, setting is as follows

Tools, options
Scroll to settings-preferences.
Tick "display progress indicators for backup jobs"

Save

Alter the job to suit

Ivan

BernyR
Level 3
 Hi Elvis,
The other option is to look at the servers/folders you are trying to backup and create a report for yourself on data size.  Look at how many servers and which folders on the servers.

Berny