cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 and Veritas Storage Central

Rosemond_August
Level 2
I have a Server which operates as a Domain Controller and also as a file server for user shares. We have been experience throughput issues with that server for a while and have tried everything to resolve the problem. We ran defragmentation on the disk, but still no effect. We have added the server to a separate backup VLAN (BACKUP server server on the same switch), updated the job by selecting the NIC on the backup VLAN, but still the throughput did not change.
We also added more memory to the server and increased the page file, but still the problem persist. I am not sure what is going on, but we have done everything in our power to resolve the problem, but still it persists. Veritas Backup Exec support has also not been of any help. Backup Exec 9.1 has been more a nightmare to me than anything.
I have an idea on what might be causing the problem, but not to sure. We have another server that is of similar configuration and we have done test backup on it with great throughput. The only difference with that server is that it is not running Veritas StorageCentral. I feel that Veritas StorageCentral might be the culprit, but I need some more facts. Maybe there is some contention between the backup and StorageCentral when the job is running.
Can somebody helpMessage was edited by:
Rosemond Auguste
6 REPLIES 6

Steven_VanDyke
Level 2
Greetings, We also run Storage Central and had to keep increasing the server to bigger, better, faster until it finally ran decent. It's a pig and will consume the entire server. I would not run BE and SC on the same ride. Check out server resources when BE is loaded right up, no room for SC. Suggest fast server with lot's of ram as a stand alone for SC

Rosemond_August
Level 2
Steven,

I hope you are online. We are only running the BE remote agent on the Domain not the whole BACKUP EXEC. There is a separate media server. The domain controller has the following
1. Backup Exec remote Agent
2. StorageCentral 5.2
3. User Shares
4. Function as a domain controller

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
To isolate the cause of issue stop the Quota advisor and File screen server services.

Try performing the backup of the same server.

Varsha
Level 6
We suggest you to apply the Service Pack 2 for the Storage Central to resolve the throughput issue:

VERITAS StorageCentral (tm) 5.2.322 Service Pack 2

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274554

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

Please kindly update us on the issue. Please revert back if the issue persists.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas