cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 media services do not start

Ke-Sheng_Bao
Level 3
Dear Sir or Madam:

This post is with regard to boot up services which cause Backup Exec 9.1 to start with errors. The backup software is running on a DELL PowerEdge with Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I just recently upgraded to Windows Server 2003 service pack 1 and made the Backup Exec 9.1 upgrade from 9.0 at the same time.

When I start Backup Exec 9.1, I get a "Connect to media" title window which shows a status of "Backup Exec services on SERVER0: Stopped". When I click on the Services...->Start All Processes button
I get this log output:
==== snip
Processing services

Start services on server: SERVER0
Starting Backup Exec Naming Service on SERVER0.
The service Backup Exec Naming Service is already running on SERVER0.
Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on SERVER0.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is already running on SERVER0.
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER0.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER0.
The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Starting Backup Exec Server on SERVER0.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on SERVER0.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER0.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER0.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVER0.
The service Backup Exec Agent Browser is already running on SERVER0.
Start services on server SERVER0 completed.

Processing services completed!
snip ====

When I try to start the "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" manually in ControlPanel->Administrative Tools->Services then right-click "Backup Exec Device & Media Service"->Start, the error "Could not start Backup Exec Device & Media Service service on Local Computer. Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."

I think this set of errors may be related to my upgrade to Windows Server 2003 SP1 as explained in http://support.veritas.com/docs/261937 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899148.

<> Are there other solutions I should try? I have tried to do a CDROM install/repair but experience an error in installing the SQL components.
<> If Veritas article 261937 is the problem, does Veritas possess the hotfix mentioned in the Microsoft Support pages so I may download the fix? Also, I cannot find the workaround registry key mentioned in Microsoft KB899148.

Thank you for your time and effort in advance.

Sincerely,
Ke
2 REPLIES 2

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please try the solution mentioned in the foll technotes:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271097

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Ke-Sheng_Bao
Level 3
Dear Renuk a:

This message is with regard to the inability to start the media service for Backup Exec 9.1 on MS Windows Server 2003.

As of late, I have had to restore the whole system via Backup Exec 9.1 disaster recovery and have been able to install the application to completion. I will close this thread.

I did try the suggestion from technote 271097 before the system restore but was still unsuccessful as far as Backup Exec 9.1 installation. I found that the actual cause was a corrupt registry setting which the performance counter uses. This caused BE9.1 problems during the MS SQL Server DE installation process.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Sincerely,
Ke-Sheng Bao