cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Agent Browser Service Crashing

C__Raven
Level 3
BE Agent Browser Service seems to crash and stop randomly, causing faults with being able to see servers. I've set the service to restart when it fails, but this shouldn't be necessary.

This is with BEWS 10, with SP1 applied, running on Windows 2003 Standard, with all the latest updates installed.

Someone have a proper resolution for this?
20 REPLIES 20

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello there,

We suggest you to repair Backup Exec installation:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Hope this helps you. If you continue to face any issues then do reply to this post and we will be glad to assist you further.

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly update us on this issue.

C__Raven
Level 3
I was finally able to get this done. Will let you know if the crashes continue.

I noticed viewing the logs, that most of the crashes seem to be spaced exactly 1 hour apart.

C__Raven
Level 3
Service is still crashing.

C__Raven
Level 3
Service is still crashing. Crashes EXACTLY once an hour.

eg. Crash at 3:00am, 4am, 5am, 6am etc etc etc...

I need this fixed properly. Having Windows restart the service when it fails is not a final solution.

Thomas_J__Hawle
Level 3
We had numerous problems with BE services failing to start or crashing after upgrading from 9.1 to 10. Here is what got us stable:

1. Delete all catalogs from the media server (corrupt catalogs have been implicated in at least one case reported on this board).

2. Delete any jobs that you don't need or use.

3. Go into BE UTILITY (it's a separate program; check your Administrator's Guide for details) and run Repair Media Server Database, Rebuild Indices, Check Consistency until you get clean results; multiple passes may be necessary. If you found that you could not delete some jobs in 2. above, go back now and try again, then return to 3. and repeat.

It appears that BE does not fail gracefully if it encounters something unexpected in the stored catalogs or in the BE database; it then proceeds to clobber its own services as well as some Windows network services, creating a real mess.

(Perhaps Veritas can explain why a program now in version 10 can't trap and deal cleanly with such conditions.)

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Please let us know what kind of Backup job operation are you trying to perform, please elaborate if it’s Local or Remote system backup or an Exchange or SQL backup?

Kindly split the backup job per drive basis (for example C: or D: ) Local and/or remote backup. This would help us understand if the remote agent is crashing on local/remote backups.

C__Raven
Level 3
Local Backup with Remote Servers as well, both Unix and Linux agents, 1 Exchange server.

Doesn't matter even if jobs are running or not, the service will still crash on a regular 1 hour basis.

Tom, I'll try that. Thanks for the advice. Bit of a pisser though, considering this was a clean install!

David_Woodcock
Level 4
Having the same problem.

Have an open ticket with Veritas, but judging from the solutions offered they have no idea how to fix it.

Doesn't seem to be a problem though. It WAS causing the next server in the backup list to fail (and all subsquent jobs) but after reinstalling EVERYTHING, inc the OS the service will now die, but wont affect the backups.

C__Raven
Level 3
Still crashing. Tried Tom Hawley's suggestions, all repairs and rebuilds come back with a clean state. Server has been rebooted, and service is still crashing exactly once per hour.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

Please perform the following and verify the results.

- Download MDAC 2.8 from the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

- Install MDAC.

- Install the latest Jet Pack from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239114

- After you have installed verify that there are no MDAC related mismatch issues by using the MDAC component checker. You can download the component checker from the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F0A8DF6-4A21-4B43-BF53-14332EF092C9&displaylang=en

- Make sure that there are no 3 party applications running.
We hope this will help.

Thanks.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

C__Raven
Level 3
- Installed MDAC 2.8

-Installed Jet Pack

-Ran Consistency Checker - No mismatches.

- BackupExec is the only application running on this box.

- Agent Browser still crashes at exactly 1 hour intervals.

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
Sorry you're having problems with the agent browser service.

As you've noted, the agent browser is partially responsible for populating the list of remote servers to protect. It does this by listening for backup targets via multiple protocols. Many servers now implement only TCP/IP. If you have other protocols installed please let us know.

My gut reaction to this is that there is a problem with an advertisement from a RALUS agent. RALUS advertises every hour by default. The agent browser is the service responsible for receiving those advertisements. There is a lot of code in place to handle malformed packets and advertisements. I can't point to any specific possible issue as a result.

The naming service does log to the application log. Additional debugging is available via SGMon. Finally, if you are running RALUS, debugging is available there as well. I can provide some articles that show how to debug this, but I'd like some feedback first. Are you running any protocols besides TCP/IP?

C__Raven
Level 3
TCP/IP is the only network protocol in use.

I can't see it being the RALUS agent specifically, since this was happening before we installed any RALUS agents.

Current Agents in use:

Windows Agent
Legacy Unix/Linux Agent
RALUS Agent

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
Are there any notes in the event viewer application log? This issue may require a call to support to resolve.

C__Raven
Level 3
Faulting application benetns.exe, version 10.0.5484.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

That's the error text from the event viewer.

C__Raven
Level 3
Okay this has to have something to do with Linux clients now:

I just reinstalled BE10 with SP1 on a brand new server. Windows 2000 SP4 with all security patches and updates. Adding my windows clients to the selection list and starting a job works fine.

However, as soon as I pointed my Linux clients to the new server, I thereafter shortly started receiving the same problem: Browser Agent Service terminated unexpectedly.

I've disabled all the linux agents running (both RALUS and some legacy agents), but still have this error.

I NEED a fix for this.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try repairing the databse.

Refer the following technote:-
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

We suggest you to contact our voice support so that our technical representatives will assist you to resolve the issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.