cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec + Bitlocker: don't play nice together?

NoiseHole
Level 3

Hi,

I have a customer with a Windows Server 2008, 64-bit host.  They have a C (OS) drive and a D (data) drive.  The D drive has Bitlocker turned on.  What my customer is finding is that after the server is rebooted, if the Backup Exec backup job runs for the D drive, he will get this:

Job ended: Monday, October 18, 2010 at 4:12:37 AM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0008489 - Backup Exec skipped a device that has been locked by BitLocker. BitLocker-enabled devices must be unlocked before Backup Exec can access them. For more information about BitLocker, refer to your Microsoft documentation.

Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33929

However, if he simply RDPs into the box and double-clicks the D drive (which already has the Bitlocker "unlocked" icon BTW) once, subsequent backups will go fine...until the server is rebooted again.

I'm going to do more research, as this may be a Bitlocker problem and not BE, but just wanted to throw this out there in case someone has had the same experience.

Brian

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The only thing I can think of is that it needs user intervention in order to unlock that drive for BE to work. This obviously happens when the your customer logs on. That, and the fact that the drive is already encrypted could be causing the issue.

Tried to check up and found nothing on your error. The only other thing I can suggest is to get hold of Symantec support, if you have a support agreement.

I have also hit the support flag on this for you...post back if you get a solution!