cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Capacity Edition

Abhijith_UAE
Level 2

Here is my scenario.

I have Backup Exec 2014 Capacity Edition with 2 TB( 600 GB is used so far) . One of our server is Win 2003 and It has about 700 GB data which is not added to Backup Exec , and I have also planned to upgrade to 2012 in 1-2 months.

If I install the Agent and and complete one full backup 1.35 TB will be used out of my 2 TB. and after upgrading the server to Win 2012 I will need to backup again. will I ran out of license? 

Please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The capacity in the Capacity Edition refers to the amount of data that you can backup.  Not the amount of data that you want to keep, so you can backup the same amount of data any number of times without busting your limit.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The capacity in the Capacity Edition refers to the amount of data that you can backup.  Not the amount of data that you want to keep, so you can backup the same amount of data any number of times without busting your limit.

Abhijith_UAE
Level 2

This will be the change in the backup jobs -

Win 2003 Server - Server Name SRV01 - Backup job will have 700 GB -  disabled Job since the server upgraded/unavailable.

Wind 2012 Server - Server Name SRV02 - Backup job will have another 700 GB - new job 

Will Symantec add these 700+700 in the Licensing calculation?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once you have disabled SRV01 and deleted the jobs backing it up.  Its capacity should not count.  However, you should confirm this with the Symantec Licencing department.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think it will calculate twice since the old server will no longer be available.

Best to confirm with the Licensing Dept at http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp