cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Job Engine service stops with already used LTO WORM TAPE

lbussolaro
Level 3

After installing Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 version I run Live Update till the last one of 15 Sep.

If I try to backup into a LTO WORM tape already inizialized, the job failes.

I try run a catalog of this tape but this operation stops the Backup Exec job engine.

The only solution is to re-install Backup Exec again.

I beleive bengine.exe got problem and even the solution proposed in 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71917

is not working at all.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

If you're running an AV, disable it and try again. if it works, put in an exclusion in the AV to not scan the BE service files.

You can also try 1, or both, of the following suggestions:

1. Run a repair of Backup Exec 2010 R3 using Add/Remove Programs...

2. Open up BEutility and run a BEDB repair. this is non-intrusive and doesn't make any changes to it.

Please reply with an update.

Thanks!

lbussolaro
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I have no AV.

I repeated the the test case and reproduced the problem doing a catalog on a media with LTO WORM (not new) and I tried your suggestion 1 and 2 withoout any change: still bengine down and not able to restart it.

Here the event log for the problem:

1. just after running the catalog operation:

A memory dump has been captured C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEDBG\bengine.exe_3124_0.dmp

2. after the previous log I get:

Faulting application name: bengine.exe, version: 13.0.5204.114, time stamp: 0x4e6a77b5
Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcdd833
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001edf0
Faulting process id: 0xc34
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc79071f8e2b02
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_88e41e092fab0294\MSVCR80.dll
Report Id: 5ee48f04-e4fa-11e0-be3e-a4badb53c69e

I may skip this catalog operation (but the problem on catalog on media WORM still exists) cause at the end I need to be able to use a already stated media LTO-4 WORM, but I'm not able cause it says that I have to introduce a scratch LTO WORM tape, why? Is not possible to use an already started tape WORM?

Just a try from my side: are the access rigths to folder WinSxS the real problem?

I opened another related problem about worm: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/set-name-lto-worm-tape-bemcmd

Will be really appreciated If I can get an answer if someone is using WORM tape.

CraigV

...you can't write multiple times to a WORM tape...it's Write Once, Read Many.

lbussolaro
Level 3

Sorry but I just appending, should work isn't?

CraigV

...appending to a tape writes to a tape so it won't work twice.

lbussolaro
Level 3

I run a job with always new folders, so always new files, it should work till the tape become full, and now it's almost empty.

lbussolaro
Level 3

Just to be more clear: the worm tape I'm using is not full and I'm tring to append new files with a backup job. The worm tape has been written with backup Exec R2 and after installing R3 I get the rrror descibed before (Please insert a new worm tape ...). It's a question of re-installing ? If so after doing a catalog of teh old worm media (notg full)  I get the engine stopped and no way to restart it.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you write to WORM media for the first time, it would be moved to a media set.  Is the AP for the media set sufficient for you to append to the tape?

lbussolaro
Level 3

Yes, the probelm is not the space in the tape but Backup Exec that doeasn' accept a worm tape (inizialized, means written once but not full) after an installation of BE.