Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7034
Date:  18-01-2009
Time:  00:25:21
User:  N/A
Computer: FRI-SERVER06
Description:
The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have tried installing Backup Exec 12.5 to another server, but the same thing happens.

It should be noted, that I copied the directories needed to transfer db and jobs from the non functional server, to the new one.

Also the registry key stated in the how to transfer settings from be10 to another server.

In Backup Exec the job fails with the below:

00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33241

The version is 12.5 Rev 2213, server is Windows 2003 R2 Sp2. Domain controller.

Device is a HP d2d130 connected using ISCSI

Message Edited by Mathiesen Data on 01-19-2009 06:18 AM
5 REPLIES 5

Mathiesen_Data
Level 3

Found this error too:

Reporting queued error: faulting application bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.103, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1433, fault address 0x00015148.

bogart_sci
Level 3

Hello Mathiesen,

Have you had any luck resolving this issue?? I have had this same fault since before christmas. I had opened a call with Symmantec support at this time, who asked me to re-create the Selection Lists as they may have been corrupted. I did this but no change. Yesterday I rebuilt the entire server from OS up, which took all day. Last night I ran the jobs, and at around 6:00am this morning, same thing happened!!! I plan to re-open the call, but wondered if you had had any luck with this yet??

cheers,

PS. If you want to compare details let me know? See if we can find some similarities,... and maybe a solution.

Mathiesen_Data
Level 3

Hi.

It seems I got it to work by deleting everything in Symantec.

Policies, selections lists and of course the jobs.

I think the problem lies in using the default policies that Symantec makes.

Can you confirm that you used this policy? I used it, and then renamed the policy to reflect what I was doing.

After that I made a copy of the renamed policy, and configured another policy reflecting a new backup strategy for another selection list.

I did have a backup exec service crash yesterday, but I don't think that it had anything to do with the old error. I messed up some stuff and restarted the services a couple of times in succesion, which ended up crashing the service.

Event was:

Faulting application bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.103, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1433, fault address 0x00015148.

and afterwards

The application, C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 02/03/2009 @ 18:11:40.482 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 78145148 (MSVCR80!memcpy)

Server has 5gb RAM running on 32bit, could this be the trouble?

How is your setup?

bogart_sci
Level 3

Hello Mathiesen,

The errors you are experiencing are similar but not exactly the same. However, it seems the end result is that the BENGINE.EXE crashes. 

The application, C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 02/04/2009 @ 06:55:45.718 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 005AF3B3 (bengine)

Faulting application bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.103, faulting module bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.103, fault address 0x001af3b3.

The server is Windows 2003 standard with 2GB RAM, HP DL380 G3, Dual processor with Hyperthreading enabled. Tape dive is an MSL5000 series Robotic Library with 2 tape drives, connected over MMod efibre.

We started experiencing this issue about 2 weeks before we broke up for christmas holidays. At this time I raised a call with symantec support. They asked me to delete the selection lists and recreate the jobs from the policies. They said not to delete the policies. I did this, but alas we had the same problem. After looking at the time line of events I noticed the following...

We have 3 jobs running at the weekend. We used to be able to start Job1 and Job2 at 18:00 on Friday. These jobs were quite large, so we would shedule Job3 to start on Saturday at 18:00. However, what we would experience is that Job3 would attempt to start, but Job1 and Job2 had not completed, so it would be Queued and would start when a drive became available.

So, Job2 would complete at say 20:00 on the Saturday, and Job3 would attempt to start. This would then cause the BENGINE.EXE to fail. So after christmas, I re-scheduled Job3 to run on Sunday at 18:00, which luckily was enough time to complete its backup job. This worked great for us for a week or so....

However, we are now moving to Backup to Disk - to - Tape process. I have tried to schedule Job1-to disk-immediately to tape, and Job2 -to disk- immediately to tape, and Job3- to disk-immediately to tape. Back to the same nightmare as before because i have simultaneous jobs running and "finishing" at different times it appears to cause the BENGINE to fail with the above errors in the Event log.

Don't know if any of this seems similar to you though???

I created all my policies and selection lists from scratch yesterday and did not use any built in ones.

I have another issue just now where the BEX_SERVER_XXXXX.xml file in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data has grown to 25G and filled up the C: drive. I have never seen this before??? But i am wondering if C: drive space is an issue for the media server??? the C: drive is just 35G in total. I use SAN drives for B2D an other storage.

Thanks for your reply, hope this makes sense.

cheers,

Mathiesen_Data
Level 3

Server hardware is the same.

We have a HP D2D 130 autoloader.

We don't use any backup to disk.

Oh, one thing more I havent mentioned. I uninstalled a microsoft patch concerning .net 1.1 or something while I also deleted the old jobs.

This patch I havent installed again.

Btw I backup File, SQL and Exchange servers.

Message Edited by Mathiesen Data on 02-04-2009 06:26 AM