cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Licensing- and Support-Questions

LucasS
Level 4

Hi,

i am new to BUE & just want to know how i would license the following infrastructure project:

3 x ESXi 5.5 

1 x vCenter 5.5

3 VMs running SQL 

30 VMs i will backup via Imaging (VMware API for DataProtection aka VCB)

and and on 3 Guests i want to make consistent Backups with SQL-Agent.

1.) Order Question: What will be the license model?

2.)Tech. Q: Is the challenge to get application consistency also made by image backups? and i only have to license the feature?

or will always an active sql agent/online agent be needed?

3.) For the rest of 27 VMs do i need any kind of backup exec agent to get and browsable recovery file catalog or sth?

or is it enough to backup the images and the index is made by the vadp-backup-process?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lucas 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Look at the Backup Exec V-Ray option for that size of operation. Check the details on this below:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en...

2. An agent that unlocks the functionality of backing up an application while online (and giving you restores while it is also online) is the way to go. Incidentally, the licenses for thes applications are included in the V-Ray license.

3. Check above...

Any further questions regarding licensing can be directed to the SYmantec Licensing department. Further information on V-Ray is below:

http://www.symantec.com/backup-exec-vray-edition

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

1. Look at the Backup Exec V-Ray option for that size of operation. Check the details on this below:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en...

2. An agent that unlocks the functionality of backing up an application while online (and giving you restores while it is also online) is the way to go. Incidentally, the licenses for thes applications are included in the V-Ray license.

3. Check above...

Any further questions regarding licensing can be directed to the SYmantec Licensing department. Further information on V-Ray is below:

http://www.symantec.com/backup-exec-vray-edition

Thanks!

LucasS
Level 4

Hi,

thanks for this good and fast reply.

Just one thing. I am reading the word "includes ..."

within the guide you link. 'And just one question

to this point (not specially a license question) is

that the v-ray edition has the "Agent for Windows Server"

as an OPTION. What does this mean? 

That i need this agent option per any guest on this ESX-Hosts?

Or does Symantec mean Physical hosts?

Regards

Lucas

CraigV

...that is correct. V-Ray is simply a licensing bundle, and not necessarily dedicated only to VMs. You would need a RAWS agent to backup a physical server, or an application agent to protect an application on a physical server.

Thanks!

LucasS
Level 4

Thanks, thats all!

Best regards

LucasS
Level 4

Just one very last thing:

if i am only having virtual machines and want to be able

to restore single files, will then a image-backup be enough?

Does the guest (without having sql, exchange or any online-agent-application)

then nevertheless need the symantec agent (RAWS)?

Best regards

Lucas

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Lucas,

If the GRT option is enabled during the backups of the VMs then Yes you will be able to restore single file & folder from the image backup.

Also you need to install the Remote Agent for Windows (RAWS) on the guest machine before you perform the restore.

RAWS is not required on guest VM for backups.if you are not using Application GRT (for Exchange, AD, SQL, & sharepoint)

Regards,

-Sush...

LucasS
Level 4

Great answer, too.

Thanks Sush.