cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Migration - Nontraditional Scenario

RyanJP
Level 3

All the Backup Exec migration tutorials I've seen so far don't exactly apply to my situation. The tutorials imply the initial backup exec installation/computer is working. Here's my scenario:

-Server with two hard drives, not raided (don't ask why, I wasn't the decision maker on it). Hard drive 1 has windows and most of the programs. Hard drive 2 has Backup Exec at D:\Symantec\Backup Exec. The SQL server instance with Backup Exec was at D:\Symantec\Microsoft SQL Server. I moved those two folders to "d:\symantec backup\" for the time being.

-Hard drive 1 fails after a power surge. Technically I have all the Backup Exec files so I should be able to recover all my settings/jobs right? I've reinstalled a fresh Backup Exec 2010 to D:\Symantec\Backup Exec and the SQL server instance was installed to D:\Symantec\Microsoft SQL Server.

I've already tried the old copy and paste which I thought may have a long shot of a chance because I made sure everything was in its original directories but no go, not all the backup exec services start back up.

Do I have any chance of recovering my old settings since I have the original files?

Backup Exec 2010

10 REPLIES 10

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the BE version the same (bear in mind there are 3 revisions of BE 2010)?

Is the servername the same?

If not sort these out first if you can and if not log a formal supprit case as we should be able to help you if you do still have an intact database.

RyanJP
Level 3

1. Oh shoot, I was hoping something like that wouldn't come up. Unfortunately I am unsure of the version of the intact BE. I'll dig through the BE folder to see if I can find an xml file or something that would tell me.

2. Yes

RyanJP
Level 3

Colin: Any idea where I could find a file that would identify the version I was on in the Symantec\BE folder? None of the XML files had anything relevant.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If you have backup of data and catalog folder then you will see .fax file in data folder please open that with notepad and then in that it will list the version of backup exec for which you have taken backup of data and catalogs

Hope that helps

Thanks

RyanJP
Level 3

Thank you Backup_Exec for your post. Sorry for the delay, I was out last week with Thanksgiving and didn't get a chance to reply.

In my data folder I found a catalog file, no .fax extension, but it didn't seem to include any relavent information. The only info I'm seeing mentions a different server name, a vm host, a SAN we use, but nothing about a version for backup exec. Any other files I can check?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please follow the below steps and that should be able to give you the version

1 If you have the backup of data and catalog folder first make a copy of data folder

2 Then using SQL studio connect to SQL instance on your Media server or any SQL server

3 Once done please attach the mdf and ldf file for backup exec

4 When attached you will see bedb ,expand it & you will see tables ,please expand tables to look for dbo.version and right click on it to open it & you will see the version number in it note it down and Thus you will get the version number

5 Once done detach the bedb from the SQl instance and perform the migration

I have added the snap too for refernce in my case Backup Exec is 2012

Hope that helps

Thanks

RyanJP
Level 3

Thanks Backup_Exec! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I was out of the office the past two days. I will attempt what you suggested tomorrow or Friday and let you know.

RyanJP
Level 3

I was a little confused by the directions but here is what I ended up doing.

Since a base verison of BE 2010 was already installed on the newly rebuilt server, I remotely connected to the sql on it from another server. The default bedb had the following info:

I then went and grabbed the original (from the server before it crashed) bedb.bak and restored it to a new test db called bedb2. Here is the version info from that:

I'm a bit skeptical that we kept BE 2010 at the base version but that's what I'm seeing. I was a bit confused on the mdf/ldf part of your directions, here is what I had from the original server:

thezapman
Level 3

I realize this isn't a clean "migration" in the purest sense of the word however the directions found here may be of use:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178277

Steps 7 and onward should be applicable (for the most part).

Hope this was of any help!

RyanJP
Level 3

Having an issue about step 10. For some reason, even though I'm installing Symantec and SQL Server Express to d:\symantec, Symantec creates the following c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate. So when I run liveupdate in that folder, it only detects "LiveUpdate" as the only Symantec software installed.

Did I click past something during the install to direct Symantec to install it elsewhere?