cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent will not start

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
My backup doesn't run anymore. I tried several things I found on the web, but nothing did work.

Server: WS2k3, Exchange 2003
Veritas: 9.1 Rev. 4691

Error in Alerts:
The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding

Event-Log
Event 7001 appears several times
Event 7036 appears, when I try to start Backup Exec Job Engine

Service:
Backup Exec Job Engine cannot be started (Could not start the BEJE service on local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.)
Server, Workstation and RPC services are running

Other things I have done:
- Changed a SCSI HD (RAID 5), it didn'work anymore. Disk is ok now.
- User has full control for the Veritas-directory
- Server was restarted
- Started and stopped every service
- Repair of the Backup-installation

Please help me, I have no idea what do to!

Thanks, Dominik
12 REPLIES 12

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technotes below to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256189
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271405
http://support.veritas.com/docs/242522

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
Hello,

I'm sorry but it didn't work:
- the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC is running prperly
- I have a user for the backup-jobs. other servers work fine with this user
- the user has full control in the Veritas directory
- I installed MDAC 2.8, didn't help, I couldn't install 2.81 (wrong OS)

The error when I start a job ist:
a0008703 - Job failed running its test run. See logfile for details.

Thanks for you help

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
Do you need any other information to solve my problem?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You have mentioned a different problem in the previous post, error a0008703 during the test run. Is the problem related to the remote agent service stopping resolved?

Check that the services workstation and server are running on the media server.
In case of the 2nd problem, we suggest you to address it in another post as this will better help manage differet problems.

Revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
Hello,

My first problem is not resolved, but I think both problems have the same cause.
Both services (workstation and server) are running, also the RPC-service is running.

I will be very glad if someone can help me, my backup isn't running for three weeks now!

Thanks!

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Dominik!

Will you try running your services under LSA?
Try to put the job engine and the remote agent service in debug mode and paste the output here.
check: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254212.htm

Does your remote agent doesn't at all? Does it terminate abruptly during a backup? What is your backup device like? Can you paste the device discovery part from your bediag.fax file?
Bediag: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/251779.htm

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
Hello Ashutosh

The MAILSERVER-beremote01.log contains the following:
1fd0 11.01.2006 13:57:50: Opening debug log C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\logs\ZEITMAIL01-beremote01.log
1fd0 11.01.2006 13:57:50: Ndmp server could not be initialized.

If I start the Remote Agent Service (Administrative Tools-Services) it says: 'The BERA for Windows Servers on Local Computer started and stopped. Some services stop automatically if the...'

01/06/06 07:29:23 Device Discovery:
Scsi Address
Prt :Bus :Tar :Lun Attributes
------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0002:0000:0006:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape0"
Primary Inquiry "HP Ultrium 1-SCSI N26D"
Serial Number "HP Ultrium 1-SCSI HU84E00838"
Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 1)
Device State 3, Online

Device IDs 1002, {D56044A9-94DD-4FD9-917F-9DDA831ECD5F}
Device Name "HP 1"
Device Type 134283265, "LTO 64K (64K,10,0,E,HU)"
Device Features 0x000FFB7F
Device Element 0, 0

------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Dominik

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
This error is caused when the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service is not started and is set to Disabled. Please check if it so and start the service.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
Thanks, but the service is running and it is not disabled... I even did restart it. Can I give you other information?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Backup EXEC remote agent (RAWS) uses port 10000(NDMP) of the systems, where RAWS is installed. These errors would arise, if another application is using it. In order to check that, do the following (on media server and also on the remote servers):

You can download the TCP View utility program, from the Website "www.sysinternals.com". When you implement the utility program, you can see a list of Ports used by your system.
When you find from the list that the port 10000 is used by another application, you can implement one of the following options:

We recommend you to modify the port from these application on another.

OR

Change the Port of NDMP on all systems, so that NDMP uses the same Port on all systems where you have installed

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Dominik_Durrer
Level 3
Sorry, I didn't work the last two weeks (holiday)

The port 10000 didn't appear in the list, I think it must be open. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Dominik,

Could you please update us on the issue?