cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Shared Storage option

Rajesh_Pereira
Level 2
I am confused with the Backup Exec Shared Storage option license option. Symantec document says that SSO is a LAN-free backup. but the detail information says, It allows to share the Storage Media between multiple media servers. As per my understandings, LAN-free backup means the media server should allow to take data backup from the SAN storage which mapped to the different servers over the SAN fabric instead of LAN. Which means, the SAN LUN's mapped to different servers should backed up over the SAN fabric. Is this true?
Or the SSO allows only to share the Backup Media (Tapes & Libraries) between multiple media servers. If this is the feature, then why this is called as LAN-Free? Still the backup will happen over the LAN !!.

Any one can make me understand clearly?

5 REPLIES 5

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Which documentation are you refering to that shows SSO as a LAN-Free backup?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
There used to be a ServerFree option, which allowed a remote agent to send to data direct to a SAN-attached backup device (as far as I know). However, BE10d was the last version to offer that option.
If you have the SSO option and multiple media servers, then each media server takes control of the shared backup device and backs up to it, so data doesn't pass over the LAN. SSO and multiple backup servers adds up to quite a few expensive licenses.
Another option is the Advanced Disk Backup Option, which allows your media server to mount snapshots on the SAN, so data doesn't pass over the LAN. You need quite a specific environment for this to work though.

Rajesh_Pereira
Level 2
Dear Ben,

I have refered the product guide link below. Expand the SSO in options tab.

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/family.jsp?familyid=backupexec

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

In an SSO environment, you would need a central SAN SSO server, and then each server attached to your SAN that you want to use this option will need a full version of Backup Exec installed on it. This will make use of your SAN, meaning all data goes across that, and not across your LAN.
Should you just load the agents, it's going to use your LAN...no benefit to that.
I was initially using this method on 1 of my sites, and it was taking well over 15 hours to backup 500GB on a file server. WHen I put the SAN SSO option in place, it cut it down to just over 5 hours!
Your tape library is shared in the SAN SSO environment, meaning all servers with full versions of BE, and configured to point to the primary SAN SSO server will access that library, or partitions in the library, depending on how you have configured it.
The Backup Exec Admin guide (I think) should have those details!

Laters!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
Basically, if the BE server can see the target hardware, then data accessible directly to that server is backup via a LAN-free method.  If the BE server has to go across the Ethernet to get to the data (typically via a Remote Agent), then the backup is not LAN-free.  So, if all your servers are on the SAN (ie LAN free), then only your desktop backups would not be LAN-free.