Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Slowness & Failures - adpu160m.sys

Sharne_Murnain
Not applicable
Hi All,

I am running veritas backup exec 9.00 rev 4454
On a HP/Compaq Proliant ML350 Server running Windows 2003 Server

After approx 4 days of good backups we get one of many backup failure types including.
(a) Backup slowness - backup running at 1/3 its normal speed

(b)
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: 0000045d HEX
Final error description: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

(c)
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: 00000001 HEX
Final error description: Incorrect function.

Looking at the system event log we get errors like

(1)
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1.

The above error appears regularly (sometimes every 5 seconds in the event log). This chews up CPU resources to the point where usages is 100% & the whole network slows down.

(2)
The driver for device \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1 detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity. All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition.

(3) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
halfinchVRTS

When booting the server we get a 1 or more services failed to start but all of the automatic services have started. (Note all of the backup exec services have started OK)

We have done the following to trouble shoot

New cable, new tape drive, new motherboard, firmware drivers have been upgraded on the motherboard, vertitas drivers are the latest,

I have been chasing this problem for 3 months now & am at my wits end. Can anyone help?
1 REPLY 1

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check whether there are any event id 9 or 11 on the device.
If there are then you need to replace the SCSI card also please contact the device manufacturer for more information.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.