cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec V10d

Shelly_Shelton
Level 3
We have used Backup Exec for several years now with our tape drive Quantum DLT-v4, we started having problems so we decided to replace the tape drive with the exact same model. We have the tape drive installed but are now unable to communicate with the device, please point me in the right direction to correct the problem.
11 REPLIES 11

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

We need to perform a Powercycle on the network:
1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Tape Drive
2  : Disconnect the Tape Drive and turn ON the server.
3  : Turn OFF the server and connect the Tape Drive
4  : Turn ON the Tape Drive and let it come up...
5  : Turn ON the server and check if its listed in Backup Exec

Shelly_Shelton
Level 3
This process was done by our tech when the drive was installed,where would I need to check to make sure the tape drive is recognized?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Open Backup Exec...go to the Devices TAB and check if the Drive is listed or not under Stand Alone Drive

Shelly_Shelton
Level 3

It is listed under stand alone as Quantum1 and the status shows ready.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Insert a Tape and run an inventory job (Right Click the Drive after inserting the tape and click on inventory) after the job completes run a catalog job in the same manner.

I think everything is fine.

Shelly_Shelton
Level 3
I did this and received the following message:
Inventory Drive 00010-the job failed with the following error: Physcial Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline or disabled.

Dev_T
Level 6

Right click on the drive-->Disable, right click again-->Delete. Restart BE services and try inventory, if this fails again......Go to Devices Tab-->Right click on the Server named, click on Paused, wait for 5 to 10 seconds, unpause it again. Run an inventory job.

Dev_T
Level 6
This process was done by our tech when the drive was installed,where would I need to check to make sure the tape drive is recognized?

The person who installed the drive missed 1 step:
-- Turn ON the server after the drive was disconnected..This will delete all the traces of the OLD drive from the OS.

Shelly_Shelton
Level 3
Thank you....I think it will work now I tried a small backup and it completed, tonight will be the test.

Dev_T
Level 6
Let me know how it goes...

Dev_T
Level 6
Any Updates?