Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec backing up SBS 2011 stnd + premium add on in Hyper V

nfshirley
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi

I have a licencing question regarding Symantec Backup Exec.

We will be installing Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 with premium add on.  Both Microsoft SBS2011 stnd and Micrsoft SBS Premium Add On will be installed as Microsoft Hyper V machines, each hosted on a different physical server running Windows Server 2008R2.  So in summary there will be:

Physical Server 1

Host Server 1 – Windows Server 2008R2

With Hyper V Virtual Machine 1 – Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 standard

Backing up to a NAS device

Physical Server 2

Host Server 2 – Windows Server 2008R2

With Hyper V Virtual Machine 1 – Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 Premium

Backing up to a NAS device

Any help as to what Symantec Backup Exec licencing we will need would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Your media server needs to be a physical server firstly. Hyper-V doesn't support running BE on a VM if using physical tape drives etc. NAS SHOULD be OK.

You'd look at 1 Hyper-V license per host if you wanted to back up the VMs on the server. These licenses cover the VMs per host.

No license required for the NAS, but if your SBS servers run applications like Exchange etc, and you want to run GRT backups/restores, you'd need a license for each Exchange/SQL server etc.

In your case, if you have 2 sites, then you'd need a media server license per site and a physical server to run it on.

Thanks!

nfshirley
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated. 

For information, both the physical servers will be at the same site.  I don't think this will make a difference, but throught I would mention.

Also, would Backup Exec Small Business Edition be able to sit on a Windows 2008R2 physical host and backup SBS2011 running in a Hyper V session?

Microsoft SBS2011 licencing allows you to deploy SBS2011 as guest Hyper V machine and also provides you with the licence for Windows 2008R2 as the host machine - I just wondered if Symantec Backup Exec Small Business edition does something similar?

Many thanks for the assistance, as I said, it is much appreciated.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there should be no hassles doing that at all.

For further information on licensing, get hold of the licensing guide on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125462

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can load BE SBS edition on your Hyper-V host and backup your 2011 SBS VM.  This is the recommended configuration.  However, note that in this configuration, you would need to backup the SBS VM as if it is a physical machine.  If you want to back it up as a VM, i.e., backup the entire vhd, then you would need to buy a BE Hyper-V licence (AMHV) on top of your BE SBS licence.