cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec doesn't see new inserted tapes

Ruud
Level 2
We are using Backup Exec V12 (sp1) on windows 2003 advanced server. The backup unit is a HP MSL 6000 with 2 HP LTO Ultrium 3 drives. Running 2 simultaneous jobs.
After I've changed (inserted new for the next jobs) the tapes and the jobs starts Backup Exec doesn't "see" the new inserted tapes. Resulting in a situation that the jobs gets the "queued" status. I first have to do a "slot scan" (start Backup Exec, devices, "server", Robotic libraries, "library", right mouse, "scan") and then Backup Exec "sees" the new tapes and de jobs are starting.
Of course I don't want to do a manual "slot scan" every time I've changed tapes. Please can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? How can I automate this "slot scan"? Or is this a shortcoming in the software?

Thanks in advanged and kind regards,
Ruud
2 REPLIES 2

Jog_Dial
Level 4

Well, I label tapes whenever I put them in..other than that, I think you always have to do an inventory... but I usuually just re-label the tapes(these are my weekly tapes that I keep for a year... even though I'll have a new backup device next year... and this one might be broke.... and I'll never get the files back) they go into the scratch media and then I put them in my weekly backup media.  You get loads of warnings about the tape might not be the tape you think it is, but if you just put them in the drive, then I am pretty sure.   I have barcode reader thingy in our drive and a barcode reader to find tapes.  Finding the time to figure out how it all works is the problems

Without actually feeding each tape into the drive itself, it doens't acually know what tape is what I think... unless maybe the barcode reader fixes that!!!! which would be a huge bonus.

Sorry if this is no help at all.  I've beeing trying to figure backup exec out for the last 4 editions and they alway seem to keep one step ahead of me ;)

Ruud
Level 2

Thank you for your response. However, earlier is wasn't necessary to do a "slot scan". After replacing tapes the jobs no further action was necessary. I think (but I'm no sure) this problem exists since the installation of SP1.

I've called the helpdesk: in more than one respect a very very bad line.