cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec exchange backup problem

craven
Level 3

I've been testing backup exec 12.5 for a couple of days now. All is going well except for the exchange 2007 backup.

The setup is the following. I've got my backup server (windows 2008 standard) hooked up to my tape drive via scsi. The exchange stores are located on a san which is mapped to my exchange 2007 server (on a windows 2008 standard server). I'm backup everything up through a remote agent (aofo installed). I've got vss enabled on the exchange

I've installed backup exec with the following options:

- Tape device drivers
- enable robotic library support (heb een robotic tape drive)
- AOFO
- Agent for microsoft exchange server
- san shared storage option

Now when i try to backup the exchange stores it stops after the pre-scan with error number 80042306.

This is the warning in get in the error log of my exchange server:

Volume Shadow Copy Warning: The provider has reported a storage identifier that is not supported by VSS. Codeset: 1 Type: 5 Size: 4 NextOffset: 24 Association: 1 This identifier will be skipped by VSS.  

Operation:
  Check If Volume Is Supported by Provider
  Add a Volume to a Shadow Copy Set

Context:
  Execution Context: Provider
  Provider Name: HP StorageWorks MSA2000 Family VSS Provider
  Provider Version: 2.4.0.20
  Provider ID: {bd04cbf9-212c-4553-9ea5-c5bfb05ccc8f}
  Volume Name: \\?\Volume{26f66274-b7bf-11dd-b95b-0022640cc844}\
  Snapshot Context: 0
  Execution Context: Coordinator

This is the error generated in my exchange server

BeginPrepareSnapshot called with LUN that does not have snapshot enabled, partition class = 0, partition type = 0, partition ID=00C0FFD70E170000E3E9264901000000.

So i'm guessing the problem is at vss but that's enabled on the exchange. Anyone got any ideas as to what's the problem is?

3 REPLIES 3

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified

You mentioned that your stores are on SAN

Is there a hardware snapshot provider, like EMC snapshot provider or DELL snapshot provider on exchange server

IF yes have you tried disabling them?

JGaskell
Level 2
I'm wondering if you ever resolved this issue.  I'm running into an extremely similar situation.  Symantec Support tried to help, but basically gave up when they saw that the error was coming from VSS.  I'm probably going to have to move the exchange store off of the iSCSI drive if I can't get this resolved.

JGaskell
Level 2
In case anybody else runs into this, I believe I've found a solution on my end.  In short, I disabled the iSCSI VSS Provider as well as the Symantec VSS Provider.  Take a look at my thread over at the HP Support Forums here: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1378108&admit=109447626+1256137694759+28353475