cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec job stalls on Remote Agent backup

nettech98
Level 3

Media server is SBS2011 with a fresh install of Backup Exec 2010 R3 (with updates).  Remote server is Windows 2008 Server Standard with push install of Remote Agent for Windows 64bit.  Backup device is internal RD1000 configured as Removable Disk device.  Servers have all MS service packs and updates installed.

Local server backup works fine.  Remote backup starts out ok, but then slows to a stop on random files. 

Cancelling job from Media Server doesn't work until I restart all BE services.

Use AOFA is checked.

Thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Try backing up to your internal disk, rather than to the RDX device.

2) When the backup pauses, is there any alert, like one asking for overwriteable media?

3) Try backing up the system state separatel from the rest of the remote server backup.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

-> Does it hangs on a specific Volume on the remote server?

-> Try Running a backup without AOFO and with AOFO , see if that makes any difference.

-> If Antivirus on access is enabled , Disable it during the backup and check

note: this is a workaround to see if that casues the problem.

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Maybe you are doing some activity that requires high utilization on the server you are backing up during the time of your backup or maybe you come up with a bottleneck issue for your network. You may consider those two on which are the factors affecting your backup.

nettech98
Level 3

1. Haven't had the chance to try this yet.

2. There are no alerts.  Only indication is the job stalls.

3. I unchecked System State from the remote backup with ne effect.

nettech98
Level 3

So far, it seems to only make it to some point on the remote C:, but at random spots.

Will try turning off AOFO.

Antivirus not an issue.

nettech98
Level 3

This is a very small office with no services (web, exchange etc) running on it.  The backup runs at 11PM while nobody is at the office.  The remote connection is via VPN over the Internet with plenty of bandwidth.

Also, while the job is hung, I can do file transfers between the two servers with no problem.

nettech98
Level 3

When it hung this morning, I stopped the Remote Agent service.  The job then continued on its way to the verify stage.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the failing backup running across your VPN?

BE is quite sensitive about bandwidth.  A couple of dropped packets and your backup would fail.  As far as I know, nobody has good backups over a WAN link.

nettech98
Level 3

It is running across a VPN and worked fine under BE2010R2.  File transfers (for testing purposes) work fine while the backup is stalled....

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Maybe you can try to modify the hosts file using notepad on the directory "Windows\System32\Drivers\etc". Try adding the client address on the hosts file of the media server and vice versa adding the media server adress on the hosts file of the client. It wont hurt to try.