Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Need Assistance in Setting up

tmingo
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Good afternoon!

I am hoping there is a simple solution to getting backups set up on our server. We are using Server Standard for Small Business and have Backup Exec 2010 installed. I have searched online for how to's on setting up backups for our company and creating a schedule, but everything I find involves using remote servers, and setting up tape drives, etc. Our company has 10 users and use our server primarily for printer sharing, one accounting management program(Peachtree), and of course, backing up.

Is there a simple procedure that I can follow to set up automatic backups of all computers on our domain? When I try to create a job, I am warned that I need to install a remote agent. When I get in the wizard to do so, it asks for servers other than the one we have. Any assistance in getting this resolved would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE is designed to backup servers, not workstations.  I think you have just 1 server and the rest are workstations.  If there are more servers, then for each server you need to buy a remote agent licence and then deploy the remote agent to that server.

For the workstations, you can use DLO to backup the users' files on workstations.  With DLO backups, you would not be able to restore the entire workstation, only the users' files.  However, deploying DLO is cheaper than deploying remote agents.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just to back up what pkh mentioned about DLO, BE ships with 5 licenses for DLO free...since you have 10, you'd need a pack of 5 or 10 additional, depending on how they are sold. Don't buy individually as it is going to work out a lot more than a pack.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This might need checkeing but if you have SBS edition of Backup Exec, I think it might come with more than 5 DLO licenses as default.

Edit: Bundled licenses detailed here

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-backup_exec_2010_wsbs_DS.en-us.pdf

Looks like it comes with 75 DLO licenses.