cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec on VmWare ESXi Host Logon Issue

jahicks7
Level 3

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 running Backup Exec 15 with a license for a VmWare Agent. I installed the Agent to the ESXi Host and the host shows up under servers in backup exec. When I create a job to backup the virtual machines on teh Esxi Host I keep getting error messages.

Final error: 0xe0009b61 - Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it

The account that it is using is the root account on teh Esxi Host. Testing credentials teh ESXi Host tests fine, but teh virtual machine credential test fails.

I have recreated backup jobs, created a different logon account on teh Esxi Host with Administrator Privledges, and checked that teh security settings are getting replicated from the ESXi Host to teh Virtual Machines. I am still getting the error message.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue??

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

lmosla
Level 6

Hi, What VMware version are you using? ESXi's supported versions are 5.1, 5.5 ,6.0  refer to the Backup Exec 15 SCL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227896

jahicks7
Level 3

I am using Vmware ESXi v6. I will check the link you posted for me. I changed the logon credentials to a windows logon account for the actual virtual machine backup and made sure it was in the appropriate groups and set the account up for log on as a batch job credentials. Credentials test fine in the job. Now it fails with teh following error.

jahicks7
Level 3

Here's the current error

Final error: 0xe0000383 - Failed to log on to Microsoft Windows.

Ensure that your logon credentials are correctly entered and that they meet the following minimum requirements to log on to a Windows computer:

- The credentials used are a member of the Backup Operators group.
   - For Windows Vista/2008 and later, the credentials have the Log on as a batch job privilege.

Additional privileges may be required to access resources on the Windows computer.
Final error category: Security Errors

jahicks7
Level 3

I do not see any issues with the supported versions of windows or VMWare ESXi. Everything looks fine to me.

jahicks7
Level 3

I also reset passwords in Active Directory and in the Backup Exec Software Logon Credentials

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I installed the Agent to the ESXi Host and the host shows up under servers in backup exec.

How do you do this?  You are not suppose to install anything on the ESX host.  You just need to activate the VMware option and add the host to BE.

jahicks7
Level 3

Maybe there wasz some confusion over the comment about installing the esxi host.

Here is teh procedure I followed to add the ESXi Server to the Server List in Backup Exec.

Adding VMware vCenter Servers and ESX/ESXi hosts

to the list of servers on the Backup and Restore tab

You can add VMware vCenter Servers and ESX/ESXi hosts to the list of servers

on the Backup and Restore tab so that these items can be selected for backup

jobs.

To add a VMware vCenter Server or ESX/ESXi host to the list of servers on the

Backup and Restore tab

1 On the Backup and Restore tab, in the Servers and Virtual Hosts group,

click Add.

2 Select VMware vCenter server or ESX host, and then click Next.

3 Select Add a VMware vCenter server or ESX host to the list of servers.

4 Enter the name or IP address of the server you want to add, and then add an

optional description of the server.

Symantec Backup Exec Agent for VMware 819

About installing the Agent for VMware

5 If you want Backup Exec to install the Agent for Windows on any guest virtual

machines for this host server, verify that the option After adding the virtual

host, install the Backup Exec Agent for Windows on the guest virtual

machines is selected.

To perform Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)-enabled backups of the

Microsoft applications that are installed on the virtual machines, the Agent for

Windows must be installed on the guest virtual machines. If you do not want

to install the Agent for Windows on the guest virtual machines, clear the check

box. You can install the Agent for Windows later if you decide that you want

to use GRT.

6 Click Next.

7 Select the correct logon account for the server from the drop-down list.

If the logon account for the server is not in the list, click Add/Edit to add it to

the list.

8 Click Next.

9 Review the summary information, and then click Finish.

jahicks7
Level 3

I have checked settings on the logon credentials and made sure that the account has log on as a service and log on as a batch permissions in the domain and domain controllers security policies

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there a System Logon Account defined in Backup Exec ? And is it under the format domain\user ?

Are the BE services running under the appropriate account ? (The Remote Agent service should be running under the local system account)

Add the vCenter instead and verify the BE account meets all rights as per both the KB articles -

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH23689.html

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH129645.html

Lastly if the above does not work, try the following :-

1) Remove the vCenter  / ESX host from the Backup & Restore tab.
2) Uninstall the Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license.
3) Reinstall the above license and readd the hypervisor.
4) Check if you receive the same error. If you do, pls log a formal support case. Thanks.