cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network ports required for backup of ESXi host.

JHouse
Level 3

Hi all,

Have tried looking for the answer but am struggling to find consistent information.  We are using BackupExec 2014.

I am trying to backup the VMs on an ESXi 5.0 host.  I have configured the firewall to allow port 902, but am still unable to add the server.  Are any other ports required?

This ESX host does belong to a vCenter, but I only want to directly connect as I will never have the need to backup anything else in that vCenter.

Many thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JHouse
Level 3

Hi all,

Just to update the thread.  In the end I got the network team to help trace the traffic.

We found we needed port 443 and 902 to get this working properly.

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...here is a TN listing the ports BE uses:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH49563.html

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you able to ping from the BE server to the ESX host and vice-versa ? Using both IP address and name ?

Are you using the ESX's root account to add the hypervisor ?

JHouse
Level 3

Thanks CraigV but that document doesnt mention VMware anywhere.

VJware, I cannot ping, but we do not allow ping through.  Are any other ports required to 902?  Yes we are using the root account.

Thanks

James

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...then check the VMware TN below:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35_25_vcb_firewalls.pdf

Thanks!

JHouse
Level 3

Thanks CraigV, those instructions are for ESX 3 though which is ancient.  I have successfully added multiple ESXi 5+ hosts without the need to configure anything on the host itself.

I am just trying to find out what configuration is needed between the Backup exec server and the ESXi host so I can ask our network team to configure the firewall between accordingly.

Yogesh_Patil
Level 4

Hi, If ping is not allowed check the port 80, 443 using telnet. VMWare port is mentioned on CraigV document. Please co-ordinate with your team and try to temporary allow ping for find out the root cause. How many ESX/ESXi servers you are included in backup server? Is other VM backup is working fine? Regards, Yogesh Patil

JHouse
Level 3

Hi all,

Just to update the thread.  In the end I got the network team to help trace the traffic.

We found we needed port 443 and 902 to get this working properly.

Cheers