cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec server system service not responding.

riverltd
Level 2
Hi

Need some urgent advice if possible! I have decided to get away from Retrospect and install Backup Exec 12.5 on our exchange server along with the exchange agent. I have successfully installed Backup Exec 12.5 which I think installed SQL server 2005 with it.
When I launch Backup Exec it seems that the installation has not created a SQL service for Backup Exec so when I launch the app their is a note at the bottom of the login window stating that the service does not exist, when I attempt to login using a domain admin account I get the error message "The Backup Exec server system is not responding. The service is either not running or not installed"

I have un-installed backup exec, re-installed...checked everything. When I load up the SQL config manager there doesn't seem to be any services in there.

What I need to know is how I setup a SQL service for backup exec or maybe if there is an issue that anyone knows of resulting in the installation not creating a SQL service.

Again this is going on our Exchange 2003 server running windows server 2003 with SP2 installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and apologies if this has duplicated any other post.
2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I believe that we do not have backup exec installed right at this point. We can install SQL Express seperately and then direct BE install to use the existing SQL Express.

1  : Open the Install files for Backup Exec
2  : Go to the install folder and go to the SQL folder.
3  : Install the SQL Express instance with default settings.
4  : Start installing BE and it will prompt you to install SQL instance
5  : Select the 2nd radio button "Existing instance"
6  : Drop down and select the BKUPEXEC instance and continue installation.

Hope this helps !!!

riverltd
Level 2
 Hi there

many thanks for getting back to  me, it's much appreciated.

As I already have BE and SQL 2005 installed on the exchange server shall I remove both and re-install as instructed above? Removing SQL will not have any affect on any exchange services will it?

regards