cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v10 Services won't start after upgrade fom v9.1

royceracer
Level 3
Receive error: Could not start the Backup Exec Job Engine service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failded to start.

Also, Could not start the Backup Exec Server service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

RLR:-)
21 REPLIES 21

Steve_Broomell_
Level 3
What user account is being used for the BE services? Is it the same account as was used in 9.1? Did you type in the account during install or did you accept the account that appeared at the services prompt? User account vs admin account? Workgroup vs domain? MSDE vs SQL? Local SQL vs Remote SQL?

royceracer
Level 3
I'm using the same Administrator account that was being used on 9.1. I did have to type in the account during installation. This is a single-server local installation.

royceracer
Level 3
I'm attempting a remove of the BE 10, first disabling the services. then reinstallation of BE 10. RLR:-)

royceracer
Level 3
Uninstall / Reinstall didn't help. From a question before, used MSDE on the installation (default).

I'm receiving the same errors when attempting to start the services.

RLR:-)

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
This is the same problem I have. You should be able to start the services using the "local system account". Veritas has been working on my call since last thrusday. So they have no fix for me yet.

royceracer
Level 3
I'm also trying to work this from the Dell support angle. Running this on Dell 1750 Win 2003 on fiber channel with Dell 136T. They are currently stumped, too. RLR:-)

royceracer
Level 3
Changing to "local" account didn't help either. RLR:-)

Matt_Yahna
Level 4
Try moving your catalogs to a temp directory and see if it starts.

That was the problem with our upgrade when the Job Engine would fail.

royceracer
Level 3
I did see the other post about the catalog files being corrupt. I tried this, too, it didn't help. RLR:-)

MPDano
Level 3
Wow, we just bought v10 and am currently running 9.1 Now I am scared to do the upgrade. Did anyone have a successful upgrade from 9.1??

Matt_Yahna
Level 4
Have you checked the event log for errors? It is saying that a dependency failed to start, does it say which one?

Check the user that runs the services, make sure the password is correct on the services, and that it has the correct rights. The Agent Browser, Device & Media Service, Job Engine, and BE Server should run under this user. The Remote Agent should run under LocalSystem.

Matt_Yahna
Level 4
Version 10 works great once we figured out our catalog problem. Has some nice upgraded features over 9.1

royceracer
Level 3
Yes, I did check the user, and the user/password is the same as the other services. The service that fails is the Backup exec Server service "Copuld not start the Backup Exec Server service on local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly." The Backup Exec Job Engine will not start, b/c it depends on the Backup Exec Server service.

MPDano
Level 3
I am just wondering if I am in for another headache. I had this same experience with another BE upgrade. What was the catalog issues?

royceracer
Level 3
Dell Gold Support is working on this issue on my behave with Veritas. No work as of yet. RLR:-)

Level 2
I too have this problem. Does Veritas acknowledge this issue? I can't even go back to 9,1 now!

Matt_Yahna
Level 4
Use SGMon.exe to see if you can find out where it dies. That helped us with our catalog problem.

The catalog problem we had was just a corrupt catalog, when BE would try to update it, etc. it would kill the Engine. Moving the catalogs fixed the problem, and now BE 10 works great.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What is the error you get in teh Application log when beserver doesn't start?

Do you get an event ID of 57802 and description of The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-14) occurred in object 10

If you do, this is because there is another program using port 3527. The BE 10 Message queue uses this port by default and if it is in use by another program you will get the error above.

To fix it:-
1. Change the program that is using the port to another.
or
2. You can change the port the BE message queue will use. To do this:-
1. Using Regedit or Regedt32, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Server
2. Right click Server, select New and then select DWORD Value.
3. Name the key MQPortID, and enter the value of the new port that the Backup Exec Message queue should use for communications.
4. Restart Backup Exec's services.

If you are in a CASO environment, all servers will need to have their ports changed.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
The other issue with beserver not starting, but will tsart when the service is set to Logon as Local System account - the workaround is covered in this technote -
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275032.htm