cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec with NDMP of NetApp job Queued

cscol
Level 3

Hi,

I'm attempting to configure Backup Exec 2010 to backup data from a NetApp Filer using NDMP.  The tape library I am using is a HP StorageWorks MSL4048 connected directly to the NetApp Filer via Fibre Channel.  I managed to get a some backup jobs to run but now all of the jobs go to a queued state and never run.  I can see the tape library and the drives in devices within Backup Exec and they all say they are ready.  There is also blank media in the slots within the tape library.

I can not understand why the jobs are queued and never run.  And advise on where to start to troubleshoot this?

I have upgraded to Serviec pack 2 but that has not helped.  I have restarted the Backup Exec services and the whole server it is running on as well as restarting the tape library but with no success to get the jobs running.

Cheers,
Calvin

8 REPLIES 8

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Is NDMP service turned on and running on filer?

cscol
Level 3

Yes and there are active sessions

ndmpd status
ndmpd ON.
Session: 259
  Active
  version:                4
  Operating on behalf of primary host.
  tape device:    nrst2a
  mover state:    Idle
  data state:     Idle
  data operation: None
Session: 159
  Active
  tape device:    nrst1a
Session: 267
  Active
  tape device:    nrst3a
Session: 23
  Active
  tape device:    nrst0a
Session: 308
  Active
  tape device:    nrst2a

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Is the backup running on local b2d (non -NDMP)

Right click on queued job and see if any alert is waiting?

Are you able to inventory the tape drive under devices tab.(it should also be added to all devices)

& are you able move tapes etc using library web console.

cscol
Level 3

I've had some success.

I shut down the server Back Exec is running on.

I then rebooted the tape library.

I powered on the Backup Exec server and left it an hour or so while I had some lunch.

I then kicked off an NDMP backup job to the tape library connected to the NetApp filer.

I could see in Backup Exec that a blank tape was loaded in Drive 1 of the tape library.

The job went from Pre-processing to Queued.

A blank tape was loaded into Drive 2.

Nothing appeared to happen for about 10 minuted but then the backup job backed up the data it was configured to backup to the tape in drive 2 and the tape was unloaded.  The blank tape is still in Drive 1.

I am now running a second backup job of different data appending to media, the tape the first job used was loaded back into Drive 2 and is currently running.

Not sure why Drive 1 is not being used.  I will try running two NDMP backup jobs to the tape library at the same time to see what happens.

By the way the tape library is split into 2 logical libraries allocated to two different NetApp controllers.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

"Not sure why Drive 1 is not being used.  I will try running two NDMP backup jobs to the tape library at the same time to see what happens."

I believe "library expansion option" needs to be installed, in order to use 2 drives simultaneously

cscol
Level 3

I am running on the trial license at the moment, as far as I know this includes all options so yes LEO should be enabled.  I have managed to run two backups at the same time on the other NetApp controller using both of the drives connecetd to this controller.

I notice that when the tape is loaded in to Drive 1 the drive is set to prevent removal of the tape, so I can not move it out through the tape libraries web interface.

I have tried scheduling two backup jobs at the same time to the first controller, one job runs using Drive 2 but the other one sits there in a Ready state.

It looks as if there is something wrong with Drive 1 in that it loads a tape in but can not use it for some reason and this is why the first backup job I run after restarting the server and tape library then starts using Drive 2.

A backup job has now failed to Drive 2 and left the tape in the drive and the drive set to prevent tape removal.  Now any jobs scheduled to run on this library just sit in a Queued state.

There does not appear to be an option to unlock a drive so I have run an unlock job on the library but the drives are still set to prevent tape removal.  Looks like I will have to reboot the library again before I can get any more backups to run!

While I have a backup job stuck in a queued status I can see each of the drives change to an "In use" status but nothing happens.  They just go to "In use" for a few seconds and then back to ready.

cscol
Level 3

I rebooted the tape library via its web interface.

When it came back on and I looked at Backup Exec it listed the tape library as online but the 2 drives as offline.  Looking at the web interface for the tape library removal of tapes from the two drives was now enabled.

Suspecting that there may have been an issue with the tape that was originaly loaded into drive 1 I assigned this media to the retired media pool.  I then marked drive 1 as online.  The queued job started running, I'm not sure if it unloaded the tape that was in drive 1 and loaded a different one, I can no longer see the tape in the retired media pool.

It appears to be working better now.  Not sure why, I will keep on testing.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Sounds good, looks like a tape was stuck  in drive 1 and its running good

after you have removed it.

Also LEO is not available in trial..so not sure if 2 jobs will run simultaneouly to 2 drives.