cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec2010 with Enterprise Vault

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Do you need a BE option license to perform backups of the EV vault store under BE2010?

I have recently upgraded to BE2010 from BE10.

The site that has an EV server (v7) that is backed-up using a standard remote agent.

However, even though the Vault store drive is selected, the standard remote agent will not back-up the Vault store files.

The BE console has an Enterprise Vault instance in the selection options, but this seems to be just the SQL components.

Do I need to shutdown the EV services to perform a full backup?

This is EV7, so there is no option to put the services into RO mode within the EV console.

The SQL server uses SQL backups to perform the DB backup and we use the std remote agent to backup the .BAK files.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

yossi_katz
Level 3
Partner

Hi there,

their  are few ways to backup EV

1. Using Backup Exec Agent for Enterprise Vault

2. Manually backup all EV Parts, SQL, INDEX and STORE

In both ways you will need to pay attention to EV "BACKUP MODE" Status

EV can not be backuped unless you change the Server to work in "BACKUP MODE"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RRE
Level 6

Hi there ,

You need the following license key if you are planning to backup the EV server

Backup Exec Agent for Enterprise Vault

Contact reseller or local symantec support 

Enterprise Vault (EV) Agent Backup and Recovery Procedures Best Practices

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54605

yossi_katz
Level 3
Partner

Hi there,

their  are few ways to backup EV

1. Using Backup Exec Agent for Enterprise Vault

2. Manually backup all EV Parts, SQL, INDEX and STORE

In both ways you will need to pay attention to EV "BACKUP MODE" Status

EV can not be backuped unless you change the Server to work in "BACKUP MODE"

teiva-boy
Level 6

You do NOT need an EV agent.  The EV agent is helpful but not required.

There is and has been for a number of years now a great whitepaper from the Enterprise Vault support site, on how to Backcup EV correctly.  It involved putting the EV services into suspend mode so no active archiving takes place, backing up the databases, archives and indexes, then starting the services. It can all be done via a registry key and batch files.  In turn, it could be implemented in pre adn post commands within a BackupExec job.

But the EV agent, will minimize the need for scripting, and simplfy licensing too.  

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi:

I was hoping you were correct.

To prove it, I stopped ALL EV services in services control panel, then ran a manual backup selecting the entire drive holding the Vault stores.

(EV was not in backup mode, just stopped, so the vault stores should just be flat files).

BE2010 (latest patch) allowed me to select the whole drive, but ominously had the actual EV partitions greyed out.

The backup ran OK, did not have any errrors, but excluded any EV vault store contents.

I re-ran the backup (full) using the EV service account.

This time, when selecting the folders I was informed via an error message that BE2010 needed the EV agent to back-up the vault stores.

Not a happy camper at this stage. 

I was hoping to prove this theory using NTbackup, but I'd need over 300GB of disk space to prove the test.  I do not have that much free space.

AMJangry

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The use of the BE2010 agent for EV does make backups easier.

This is especially true for the newer versions that fully support backup mode (EV8 and EV9).

With EV7 the answer is to use the EV shares and options (not shown within the server agent, but below the standard selection list as "EV").  It appears you must explicitely select each option within the EV site.  

AMJ