cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failing - Logon account you specified must correspond to a unique mailbox

reddoor
Level 3

Hi im running Backupexec 12.5 Rev 2213 on a Windows SBS 2008 server and the backup is failing with the following error

Job ended: 29 November 2011 at 07:57:07
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000febd - The Logon account you specified must correspond to a unique mailbox.
For example "admin" isn't unique if there is an "administrator" account.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65213

Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group 

V-79-57344-65213 - Error. Cannot backup directory Mailbox Database and its subdirectories.

Backup- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group 

V-79-57344-65213 - Error. Cannot backup directory Public Folder Database and its subdirectories.

I have seen a few KB arcitles that refer to this but say there is an update to version 11D which obvioulsy doesnt help me out. Would love to get this resolved today so any help would be great.

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Are you sure your BE service account has a unique mailbox

Refer:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24691

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28298

Go to Be console - network -logon accounts -Try to make BE default logon account same as  BE system logon account  and this should be unique.

reddoor
Level 3

Hi I only had one user here but under type it said restricted but I have now changed this and it says common. Will this solve the issue?

Thanks

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Changing it to comman will not make any difference.

Can you make sure this account have a mailbox in your exchange

This mailbox needs to be active, not hidden from global access list

and most imp should be uniqe (ie -you should not have another mailbox with same 5 letters in

begining..check the article I have given above or contact your exch admin)

reddoor
Level 3

Hi I have checked and my admin account has a vaild mailbox as I use it to send / receive emails

Is there anything else I can check?

Obviously as this is a SBS 2008 install the user "administrator" is not enabled and during the setup I created a new admin account?

Thanks

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

As per: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24691

Open your Outlook

Under Outlook Shortcuts, click Inbox, and then click New to open a new email message

In the To box of the Untitled Message, type 'adm' , and then press <Ctrl+K>. If the mailbox name is unique in the Exchange organization, the name will be underlined

In the To box of the Untitled Message, type the first two or three characters of the Exchange mailbox selected for use in mailbox backups, and then press <Ctrl+K>. If the mailbox name is unique in the Exchange organization, the name will be underlined

Also refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155424

You can try creating a new account like 'beservice' provide it required rights and replace it in BE

reddoor
Level 3

Hi I have checked this and still cant find a problem. I tried the backup last night without the GRT option selected and the backup has completed fine. Would it matter if I dont have the GRT option enabled or is there anything else I can try to get round this problem?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

GRT backups will take a lot longer as BE has to back up each individual item; using GRT it would snapshot the Information Store and then back that up as 1.

Have you created another user account (like svc_veritas) and given it the same account rights as your current account? Does your current BESA have rights delegated to it in Exchange (you'd have to do this with the new account too...)...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Actually GRT enabled only collects Metadata for each individual item it still does a snapshot backup of the IS as one item, Craig's comment was how Brick-Level backups used to work before GRT and was considerably slower.

If you disable GRT then you cannot restore an individual mail message but you can restore the complete information store.

reddoor
Level 3

Hi I am happy to leave the GRT off as long as it still backs up correctly but I am now getting the following error which is causing me problems

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

If I open up a command prompt and run VSSADMIN LIST WRITTERS I get the following

"Microsoft Exchange Writer"

State = Failed

Last Error = Timed Out

Is this related to the above problems and how can I get around this problem please?

Thanks

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Reboot you server and try backup again

If it still fails check win event viewer for further toubleshoot.

reddoor
Level 3

Hi if I rebbot the server the problem will dissapear for a few days but will then come back again. As you can imagine its not an option to have to reboot the server every few days to get the backup running.

Thanks

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

If VSS writers are failling while backing up system state or other components on this

server as well, you may need to re-rejister VSS.

Refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

If it complains only while backing up Exchange information store,

You may need to check event viewer to make sure, no other backup

replication or daily maintenence task -  does not conflicts.

It may also require a repair of your exch db uing eseutil.

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi have tried the information in the link but after doing this I have had another backup fail with the same error. What else can I do to get this working as need to sort this out ASAP.

Thanks

CraigV

...if you have a valid support contract in place with Symantec, now's the time to log a call with them...

reddoor_network
Level 4

Thanks have just put in a call to techincal support now.

Thanks

CraigV

...that's a VSS issue, and you either need to reregister the VSS *.dlls if using Windows Server 2008; or run the VSS ROllup Patch if using Windows Server 2003...

reddoor_network
Level 4

Thanks spoke to Symantec support who had a look and suggested I contact Microsoft who have look at the fault and updated some .dll files. The backup is now running ok just need to monitor it for a few days so the problem doesnt return.

Thanks for all the help.

reddoor_network
Level 4

Just in case anyone else has the VSS problem when I spoke to Microsoft we installed the following hotfixes

KB 975928

KB 983425

KB 976329

Thanks