cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failure - Failed reading an Object (0xe000fedf)

StuieUK
Level 3

Hi all :)

Running Backupexec 12.5 on a Win2003 box....  Backups data on here,and also on a Win2008 Exchange 2007 box.....

Backups been running fine for past year....
Start of this year, doing bad....
Backups started failing this week with: 0x80042306 (The Microsoft VSS could'nt make a copy of the System state on the Win2008 server......)
Error code:  """"AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERNAME\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure that all provider services and tasks are running. """""

It didnt helpt that HDD number 3 in my exchange server died so i guess that helped play a part in the error ?
Anyway, new HDD put in Win2008 server, array auto rebuilt and server happy again...
However, last nights backup failed with this, and i dont know the fix....

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65247

It says it cannot backup the systemstate on my Win2008 box, a failure occured reading an object....
Backup- \\serverxxxxxxx\System?State WARNING: "\\serverxxxxx\System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.

Am a bit worried because if there is a problem with the system state, if i goto reboot the exchange server, i got this feeling the server wont come back online and give errors about the registry maybe ?  or am i jumping the gun a bit there!
I removed the 'systemstate' from my backups as it backups the data on the win2003 server and the exchange store on the 2008 box ok......
just be nice to fix this and put it all back to normal.....

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there any anti-virus installed on the Win 2008 server?

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Try Re-registering the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Components on Windows 2008

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Hope this helps...

StuieUK
Level 3

theres no AV on my exchange server win2008 server (i know thats bad, but mail is av scanned before it gets into my domain anyway).....

Gonna look at re-registering the VSS now... hope it works ! :) :)

StuieUK
Level 3

just been looking in event viewer on the 2008 box, and am guessing this error relates to when backupexec trys to backup the systemstate

""""
The operating system returned an unusual error while backing up the following file:

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-mfc42x_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_f314ce41558eb91a\mfc42.dll

It is possible that this file is incomplete and therefore should not be restored.    """"""

I read the notes on re-registereing the VSS on the 2008 box, but am worried if i reboot the server, its not gonna come back online based on the error reported by backupexec and the above! :(

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Is the file present at the below location?

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-mfc42x_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_f314ce41558eb91a\mfc42.dll

If not, create a dummy file in notepad and nameit as mfc42.dll, placing the file in the same folder and try to run the backup again...

Hope this helps...

StuieUK
Level 3

The Winsxs is a Read-Only folder...
Its all folders in there, but the above folder which reported the problem doesn't exist... and as said, it wont allow me to create that folder ?!

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

On your win2008 are you able to backup the system state using windows server backup tool  & please see if that works fine

Thank You