cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failure

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

One of backup of servers failed it's job last night as some of the services were down and connection was lost to the database? Attached are the event viewer logs and screenshots. Any help would be much appreciated. This server runs backup exec 12.5 Many thanks. 

Event viewer Logs: 

Backup Exec Alert: Catalog Error
(Server: "") ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database. 

Access to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason:  Out Of Memory CCatRecordSet::InitializeColumnVectorAndBinding()
r:\corsica\2213r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(4362)

Access to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason:  Out Of Memory CCatRecordSet::InitializeColumnVectorAndBinding()
r:\corsica\2213r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(4362)

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Angelo,

Check out the TN below...should address your error:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51256

Thanks!

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

Hi, 

That refers to an upgrade, we have always had 12.5 ! Will this still apply to me ? 

CraigV

Hi there,

I'd still consider making that change to not truncate the logs.

That TN looks like it might actually refer to your error as well, if you check the list of BE versions.

Thanks!

SayedNayeem
Not applicable

i am really confuse about this ..

to get this option enable enable email archiving what i have to do and i have the licence for email archving .

iam still confuse becasue i have not find any link for downloading..symantec backup exec.

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Can we have the exact error from the job log? what are you backing up? where is the data going to disk or tape? Have you tired any other backup job? I'll need more specifics to determine the exact issue and resolution on this one....

Download Backup Exec from from https://fileconnect.symantec.com/LangSelection.jsp

And mail archiving is another issue, please open a separate thread for that.

CraigV

? Please open a new forum query...no need to piggy-back on someone else's query that is to do with something else entirely different.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

It repeated itself again today , all the services were stopped. And connection was lost the backup exec server 

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to look at the Windows Eventlog to see what is causing the BE services to be stopped.  If necessary, you may need to analyse the minidumps that are produced by these failures.

Angelojoseph17
Level 3

I had a look at the event logs yesterday, there was a fedex service ( fedex shipping software ) that runs on this server. Minutes after this service went down the backup exec service also went down, i wonder if these issues are related. 

CraigV

Hi Angelo,

Only way to be sure is to stop that Fedex service, and see if it stops the BE service.

That said, there should be no dependencies...maybe check that out to see if something has changed under services.msc. Not sure why it would, but it would be something I would check out.

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Angelo, Does that Fedex application rely on SQL EXPRESS for a Database? by any chance is the fedex service depending on the SQLSERVER(BKUPEXEC) service? It could very will bring everything down, if it needs a DB, i recommend you install another instance for it and not work with the BE instance in SQL.

Let me know if this solves the problem