cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare+BE+Dell Tape Drive

thewaltb
Not applicable

Hello,

I keep getting an error when I try to backup to a Dell PowerVault connected to a SAS card in a Dell 2950 server. I'm running Winows Server 2008R2, VMware ESX 4.0.0,208167. The card and tape drive are a month old, the server 2 years old. We just installed Windows Server 2008 a couple of months ago.

The error is:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ee - An invalid command was sent to the storage device.

The storage device may no longer be accessible to the operating system. Review the event logs for more information.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34030

I've looked up the error and tried several things but no resolution. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

Thewaltb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Thewaltb,

I know ESXi supports SCSI passthrough, and some of the guys in our office have managed to get a client to run with BE as a VM, backing up to a SCSI device.

I know that in order to do this you need an Adaptec card. No other manufacturer seems to be supported, so it would be time to try get 1 for testing purposes before even trying to put this into production.

I will be doing this on 2 sites in the coming week...

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

Is your BackupExec server virtualized?  If so, good luck with that, been there done that, and it's not reliable at all.  This is the fault of VMWare and SCSI pass through support.

If supported by Symantec, they have only one config that they have tested and known to work.  

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Thewaltb,

I know ESXi supports SCSI passthrough, and some of the guys in our office have managed to get a client to run with BE as a VM, backing up to a SCSI device.

I know that in order to do this you need an Adaptec card. No other manufacturer seems to be supported, so it would be time to try get 1 for testing purposes before even trying to put this into production.

I will be doing this on 2 sites in the coming week...

Laters!