cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job Checklist

david_abowitt
Level 4
I recently upgraded from V11 to 12.5 and with the capability in 12.5 of backing-up AD, Virtual Machines, etc... I need to redesign my backup strategy. 

Currently I run the following: (All D2T)

Weekly Differential - selected items on non-VM based machines and agent based backup of selected data in VM's.
File Server Backup differential - Agent based backup of our VM based File servers using Time differential stamps
Exchange 2003 Full backup of Information Store

Weekend File Server Full Backup - Agent based backup of our VMFile Servers using Time Stamp
Full Backup - Full backup of our non-VM based machines and agent based backup of selected data in VM's.

I am setup and have tested backing-up VM's D2D.  I setup a trunk GIG NIC connected to the SAN only switch to increase throughput.  All other backup go through a single gig NIC that is connected to a Core switch. (Layer 2 versus 3 IP transport)

I need to design a new backup strategy that incorporates AD, VM, GRT, etc... backup of my VM's while still accounting for my physical machines.  I have environment to perform D2D2T and/or D2D and CPS.

I designed the environment but ended-up with way too many backup jobs given all the options 12.5 can perform and also having the correct Media set design.  Thus, has anyone designed a good checklist or does Symantec have anything that would be of help that also takes into account Media Set design.

Thanks,
0 REPLIES 0