cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job Over-ran by 9 Hours

Paul_Cole
Level 3
Hi,

I had a problem with last nights backup whereby, the first job to run started, but didn't go anywhere. No data was backed up at all, the tape was over-writable and there were no alerts. The job had a cancellation set of after 6 hours, but this morning, I found that the job was still running 15 hours later. Does anyone have any ideas what might stop this from automatically cancelling after the 6 hours I had set? The problem being, every other job missed it's time window which then becomes a pain to rectify.

Thanks

Paul
3 REPLIES 3

Dave_Catchpole
Level 3
Same thing has happened to my overnight backup, although it does manage to backup 652kb before hanging up.

Re run the job first thing in the morning and it runs fine.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you by any chance do a restore before this backup?

The first backup after a restore "hanging" is a known problem that was addressed by a HotFix which was rolled into all Service Packs

if you haven't already installed it, SP5 is at http://support.veritas.com/docs/286923

Paul_Cole
Level 3
Nope. I've not done a restore in a while. The job was stuck on pre-processing. Cancelling it didn't work, i left it for over an hour and when i came back it was in the status of 'cancel pending', so I had to stop and restart the services to effectively cancel it. The trouble is, the other 6 jobs behind it did exactly the same.
Once i had cleared all of these, I erased the tape (which was practically free of data anyway) and then had to kick off all of these jobs again to get them back in the time window for the next scheduled backup. Finally got it to work however. This isn't the first time I've encountered this problem though.