cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job does not create correct catalogs

Milan_Danek
Level 3
Hi,

we are running Backup Exec media server on a Windows 2000 Server CZ with Service Pack 4 installed. The server has 4 GB of RAM. Backup Exec is using MSDE.
Every day we run 2 backup jobs: one for servers and another one for workstations (AIX machines with CATIA).
The backup job completes successfully. However, when I go to Job Setup - Restore Tasks - New Job and select View by Media, then I cannot see the media for the server backup job! Due to this, when I need to restore some file, I cannot simply select the file from the media tree.
The only media I can see there is the media for the second job (workstation job). However, even this is not complete - I can see just the last workstation which was backed up.

Does anyone of you know what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Milan
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you switch to the volume tree instead and drill down to the servers, do you see any backups listed under them, including the one that you are looking for?

Milan_Danek
Level 3
Hi,

I assume you mean switching from Media view to Resource view in the Restore Job Properties dialog?
I certainly tried this several times before posting my question, however, no success. I can display the list of servers, I can drill down to the volumes of the servers and that is all.
Whenever I click the volume label, nothing happens. The selection box next to volume name or server name is greyed out. I suppose this box is available if everything is OK.

Regards,

Milan

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yes that's right, I think v8 used a different name which confused me going from memory! :)

In the resource view you should be able to see the list of servers, then within them you should see the list of drives / resources on that server. You should then be able to expand each resource and see a list of available backups which can be restored that hold that data.

One thing to note though, the selection box next to the volume name is supposed to be greyed out, since you can't restore from multiple backups. You need to click the + box next to the volume, though I imagine you would have done so if there was one to click.

Milan_Danek
Level 3
Hi,

yes, exactly. As we had 9.1 to a very recent time and we had absolutely no troubles like this with it, I was used to work these selections.

Milan

Milan_Danek
Level 3
Hi,

so after a lot of attempts I gave up and removed Backup Exec 10d from the server completely.
Great thanks to Alex Scoble's IT blog (http://itmanager.blogs.com/notes/2005/04/how_to_etcetc) - there I found a description of a process for removing Backup Exec 9.1, which is still useful even for 10d.
Then I tried a clean install (no upgrade, please!) of Backup Exec 10d again with all those Service Packs

Works like a hell - catalogs are created as expected, old media from 9.1 can be cataloged and thus data can be restored.

Seems me I should award some points to myself, however, a glass of beer would be definitely better :-)))

Regards,

Milan