cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Jobs Failing - Backup Engine stops

Not applicable
I have a problem with Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691 and Windows 2003 SBS server.

Once I submit a Job, it stops at Pre-Processing, and the Backup Exec Engine service stops, and the job fails with :

"Backup 0001 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

I have looked throug the knowledge base and found a couble of articles matching my problems, but none of them have solved the isue.

Next i tried to apply SP2 for BE that did not solve my problem. Then i uninstalled the program, restarted the server and installed Backup Exec again til no go.

Any surgestions ?

Best Regards
Mads Jensen
2 REPLIES 2

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

This error 'Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding' may be generated if a newer version of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) is required or the current version needs to be re-installed. Following steps will resolve the issue:

1) Please download and install the latest version 2.8 of the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) from the Microsoft Website. (Available at the time of writing)

2) Update/Reapply latest Windows OS Service Pack

3) Update to Internet Explorer with latest version and service pack available

4) The error could also occur if anti-virus software is running at the time of backup. For test purpose, disable anti-virus software. Verify the result.

If the above steps do not solve the issue perform a repair database by refering to the technote given below.

(title) How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.