cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Media Sets- Library Insert

Agthia_IT
Not applicable

Hi

I am running multiple server jobs pointing to the same tap taking as differential,Weekly and Monthly. Can anybody tell me the best OPP and AP ,i have tap library of 24 Slots available and the jobs are schedule as

1. Mail

2. Application servers 

3. File Servers

Differenctial - Sun ,Mon,Tue,Wed ,Thu

Weekly - Friday

Monthly -Last day of month

so please let me know how the media set can be defined, Now the jobs are asking everytime library insert

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Normally in your situation, people will define 3 media sets

1) Daily - OPP = 6 days, AP = 6 days

2) Weekly - OPP = 1 month

3) Monthly - OPP depends on your company's data retention policy.

The first job that writes to the Daily media set will specify Overwrite and the subsequent jobs will specify append.

After defining the above media sets, you still have to ensure that there are sufficient media in each media set to satisfy the demand.  For example, if your weekly backups needs 2 tapes that you would need at least 10 tapes in the weekly media set to satisfy the demand.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Normally in your situation, people will define 3 media sets

1) Daily - OPP = 6 days, AP = 6 days

2) Weekly - OPP = 1 month

3) Monthly - OPP depends on your company's data retention policy.

The first job that writes to the Daily media set will specify Overwrite and the subsequent jobs will specify append.

After defining the above media sets, you still have to ensure that there are sufficient media in each media set to satisfy the demand.  For example, if your weekly backups needs 2 tapes that you would need at least 10 tapes in the weekly media set to satisfy the demand.