cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Problems

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
I’ve been using Veritas Backup Exec for a number of years without major problems.

This week, each time the backup software is just about to write to the tape, the server stop errors and reboots.

I’m struggling to work out if there maybe an issue with the drive itself or an issue in the backup software.

Process of steps taken:
Ran the VXA diagnostic tools on the drive with no errors reported
Reinstalled the firmware into the drive
Ran repair on backup software (Veritas Backup Exec 9.1)

I’m hoping you maybe off assistance; I look forward to your reply.
17 REPLIES 17

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
One more thing you can try -

Shut down all BackupExec Services, and try an NTBackup job. if the same thing happens, then you have a hardware problem, somewhere.

You can also try swapping Terminators and Cables, and a new SCSI card.

If the NTBackup job completes normally, then it's a BackupExec problem.

Good Luck!

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
Thanks for your suggestion, will give it a go

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Additionally elaborate on the following if the problem persists:

- since when did the issue start occuring?
- what tape do you use? Do you use the Veritas drivers for your device?
- what erors do you get in the Windows event logs?
- after the server reboots, do the subsequent jobs run well?

Make sure that you have the latest patches installed. Install SP 3 in case you have not already done so. Here is the link for the download:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 3
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278302

Do update on the post.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Dean_Comber
Level 3
I had the same problem beginning last night. I have my backup jobs scheduled for 11:00 PM each night and at 11:01 PM, the server rebooted. I did see in the system log an error event id 6088 "The previous system shutdown at 11:01:42 PM on 9/6/2005 was unexpected. " I noticed a Job Log Display error for that job and of course it failed with 0 bytes. However, after the server rebooted, I ran the job manually and it worked fine. I am very concerned about this seeing as it shutdown dirty and I am worried that this may have an affect on my Exchange server. At first I thought it was my UPS, but that seems to be just fine.

Here are my stats:

* Windows 2000 SBS

* IBM VXA-2 SCSI Sequential Device
Driver Provider: Veritas Software, Inc.
Driver Date: 5/15/2003
Driver Version: 5.0

* Veritas Backup Exec Windows Servers 9.1.4691 with Service Pack 3 installed

Please HELP!! This is nerve-wracking!!

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please try the suggestions given by Priy and Ken.
If you are using AOFO in the backup, please uncheck the option and try the backup again.
If possible stop the antivirus scan during backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
The problem started after the server was running extremely slow, I noticed that the antivirus was hogging all resources, rebooted to clear this, now this problem exists.

The tape drive is a Exabyte VXA2, using Veritas drivers for device.

The error I get is - stop error, dumps memory then reboots, no dump file to be found thou, and no obvious eoore in the event logs

Once the server reboots, if I try and run the job manually, the server stop errors

I haven't installed service pack 3 yet, planning on reinstalling backup exec tomorrow

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We suggest you install the SP3 initially, if the problem persists revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dean_Comber
Level 3
My problem seems to have ceased. Im not sure why this happened in the first place, but backups are now running fine and on schedule without rebooting the server. I updated my drivers per the veritas article (funny how you have to dig for this stuff on their site and its not listed in Vertias Update on the server.) I really dont think the driver was the issue as I could run the job manually without any problems. Also changed the job log to summary only. Dont even have AOFO installed and I know that antivirus wasnt the problem. Well, hope you solve your problem Richard and I just hope this doesnt happen to me again.

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
I reinstalled the Veritas tape driver and installed sp 3.

Nowif I use a particular tape, the server will crash but if I use another tape the backup job seems to run O.K. at the moment anyway.

I did try different tapes before the update but server crashed every time, so now seems to be more stable.

I noticed that when I tried to relabel this particular tape Veritas gave a warning that it felt there was a problem in the tape and to stop using it. Surely a bad tape wouldn't be enough to cause the server to stop error?

Another problem I've been having with backup exec is that I no longer get on screen alerts notification on screen, the only way I can tell now is by clicking the alerts tab or getting a e-mail notification.

Dean_Comber
Level 3
Richard, I wonder if my problem was similar to yours. I though I may have needed to use updated Veritas drivers, change the logging to summary only, etc., but I did change tapes for the next backup after my server rebooted. The tape that may have apparently caused the tape to reboot the server wasnt that old and seemed to handle backup jobs fine. It only seemed to reboot the server on the scheduled job. After the server rebooted, I ran the same job manually and it ran just fine with the same tape. Any other suggestions or items I could look into?

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
I'm still having problems but the server is now crashing when I try and run a full backup.

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
I'm still having problems, initially I thought it was a bad tape.
But a full backup ran last night and crashed the server again.
Any other ideas?

Dean_Comber
Level 3
So not a bad tape? I was hoping that was your issue. I guess the only thing I could suggest is seeing if you can update the drivers (if you are using the Veritas ones) and see how you are logging your jobs. I thought my problem was that I was logging to much info into the XML reports and that could have been the issue, so i changed the logging to summary only (i was logging a lot of detail due to an Exchange mailbox issue). I then went into the folder where the reports were stored and deleted out-dated XML reports. Other than that, I dont know what could be the issue. I think this is something more along the lines of a fix that needs to be updated in a future SP4 that Veritas is not admitting to. Funny how this has happened to others and is not isolated. Let me know how it works out.

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
Not a bad tape unfortantely.
I installed sp3 and reinstalled the latest Veritas drivers encase of corruption.
My logs aren't big so shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing I can think of is an issue in the backup job itself, but how this could be the case I don't know.
I'll see if a techie has more suggestions before I reinstall Backup Exec.
Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

Dean_Comber
Level 3
Richard, the only other suggestion I have is to re-create the backup jobs. This has worked for me before when I got nowhere with support. Other than that, I cant think of anything else. Good Luck and let me know if you resolve it.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. Please check whether there are any event id's 9 or 11 related to the device or SCSI
2. Also please check the device configuration with the help of the technote below:

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Richard_Warlow
Level 3
Checked the event id's, I did have an earlier id 7 relating to a bad tape, that was the only one.

Worked through the technote, tape drive came up clean.