cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup SQL Server DB without the special agent

wingene
Level 3
Hi

I don't have the special agent to backup SQL server databases.
In the resource selection of the jobproperties, I'm able to select the different SQL-instances and their databases.

In the application log of the Windows eventviewer I see that those databases are backed up to virtual device.

Is it usefull to select the SQL-instances or does this do nothing when you don't have the special agent.

Best regards

Tom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Ok - You get some ability to backup SQL Databases because you have a Sharepoint agent and some Sharepoint data resides in SQL.

I am not 100% sure exactly where (if at all) you might run into a technical limitation. From a legal point of view though if the SQL database you are backing up is not part of what you have licensed for Sharepoint then you probably should buy a SQL Agent license.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Backup Exec does a nightly backup to a BEDB.bak file.
In your selection list, you can select the Data and Catalogs folders, and BE's active file exclusion will exclude any other files in use (like BE's actualy SQL DB).
One of the TA's actually wrote an article on this a while back.
This is referenced below:

http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/using/backing-up-backup-execs-database.html

Laters!

Colin_Weaver

If you don't have the special agent and the backups of those resources are working as you state then you might be in Evaluation mode against the SQL agent - newer versions of Backup Exec let you evaluate most agents and options when the core server installation is licensed. Evaluation period will die 60 days after you use the agent for the first time.

If Backup Exec did the last backup via the special agent then OSQL commands can be used to verify this:
review the resolution section in this document
http://support.veritas.com/docs/301508
to find out if the Remote agent did your SQL backups.

wingene
Level 3
Hi Craig

I've read the reference you mentioned.
Database maintenance is enabled, but I think something else is going on.
In the application log I see entries like bellow.  These are not systemdatabases. I'm wondering what the functionality of those backups is.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 58 47 00 00 0a 00 00 00   XG......
0008: 0f 00 00 00 57 00 49 00   ....W.I.
0010: 4e 00 47 00 45 00 4e 00   N.G.E.N.
0018: 45 00 30 00 31 00 5c 00   E.0.1.\.
0020: 43 00 45 00 56 00 49 00   C.E.V.I.
0028: 00 00 07 00 00 00 6d 00   ......m.
0030: 61 00 73 00 74 00 65 00   a.s.t.e.
0038: 72 00 00 00               r...   
Event Type: Information
Event Source: MSSQL$CEVI
Event Category: (6)
Event ID: 17055
Date:  10/07/2010
Time:  3:49:24
User:  ----
Computer: ----
Description:
18264 :
Database backed up: Database: t002007, creation date(time): 2009/08/12(11:04:09), pages dumped: 2019, first LSN: 4710:32:1, last LSN: 4710:34:1, number of dump devices: 1, device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'t002007_00__9e758a89_55cc_46fe_9278_327d4bc1ebee_'}).

Colin_Weaver

Hmm well that shows a few things:

1) you are not trying to backup the BEDB that Craig refers to
2) A dump of data to a virtual device is taking place.
3) the database name is t002007

You might want to try the information I gave to see if Backup Exec is being reported as the process that did the last backup of database t002007.

wingene
Level 3
Hi Collin

I can confirm that it is or was Backup Exec.  I unchecked all instances in the jobproperties and the events didn't appear this night while the backup was running.

My question stays: is the possibility to check those SQL-instances in the jobproperties functional? In other words: that dump of data to a virtual device can it used for something?  Can it be used to really backup databases (which is a pretty stupid question, because that special SQL agent would be useless in that case)?  So what is it doing?

Best regards

Colin_Weaver

OK -
If in your backup selection list you can select a contain object called "Microsoft SQL Server "<INSTANCE NAME>"
And if you click on the instance name it shows the database names as selectable in the right side pane
And if selecting databases in this was does a backup without an error

Then the chances are you are using the Backup Exec Agent for SQL without realizing it.

You haven't mentioned the Backup Exec version - but assuming BE 2010
Click Help --> About on the menu
Click the License Information button

What does it show against Agent for Microsoft SQL Server?

Also out of interest do you have the Backup Exec Small Business Server Edition?

wingene
Level 3
Hi Collin

I'm using 11d version 11.0 revision 7170

When I go to installed licenses, I see that the agent for MS SQL Server is licensed.

This is weird.  Does it come with another license like that for the sharepoint or exchange agent?
I'm sure that we never bought it.  It's not mentioned in our license portal ...

Anyway, if it's for free, I will figure out how it's working and will use it :o)

Colin_Weaver

It is not free
so either you have 'borrowed' a serial number from somewhere or much more likely a license was bought via another reseller so would not be on the license portal.

if you don''t have any paperwork about having the license then check your licesing screen in BE (Not sure about 11D but it is either on the tools menu, or via Add Rermove Programs and then change/modify the BackuP Exec installation) for the serial number and additionally take a copy of besernum.xml from your system - as this xml file should l contain your serial numbers and can be used with the import button on the liceninmg screen when re-installing.

If you want to clarify the origin of the serial number then our Customer care team might be able to help - although I am not 100% sure what records are available to them. You will have to use the contact details on our support website to phone our customer care teams

wingene
Level 3
This is weird Collin

Tools => Licenses keys & installations doesn't mention a license key for the SQL agent
Besernum.xml neither.

The only thing I can think of that the agent has been licensed by live update?

Screenshots bellow prove what I'm saying?

Symanticus
Level 6
wow, your serial number must be magic :o

Colin_Weaver
Ok - You get some ability to backup SQL Databases because you have a Sharepoint agent and some Sharepoint data resides in SQL.

I am not 100% sure exactly where (if at all) you might run into a technical limitation. From a legal point of view though if the SQL database you are backing up is not part of what you have licensed for Sharepoint then you probably should buy a SQL Agent license.

wingene
Level 3
OK I think this case can be closed.
Thanks for your help Colin.

I think your devolpmentteam will have to check of the functionalities of SQL agent can be reproduced by the sharepoint agent in the next versions or not.

Best regards

Tom