cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Selection Lists

Erin1998
Level 3

In 2010 the jobs used backup selection lists that could be reused on multiple jobs.

In 2014, I'm finding that I have to recreate the selection list with each and every job, which opens up a risk of not getting the right shares selected, having the right credentials and having the ordering wrong.

In 2014, is there a way to reuse the correctly set up selection lists with multiple jobs?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This is not possible with BE 2014. In BE 2014, a scheduled job can contain a number of jobs and ask these will share the same selection list. Thus there is little need to share selection lists across scheduled jobs

Erin1998
Level 3

So with the nested job concept how would you go about creating a backup definition that does a BTT job to the same partition, but different tapes, on the 1-4 Friday of every month?  Is a duplicate the same as a full backup?  I'm seeing a lot of people say that it is much slower than a full BTT.

I did go through steps to set this up, but it just doesn't look right.

Thank you

Erin1998
Level 3

If I understood your right, this is the way you would like it set up, but again, I don't see how this will work.  I don't want to do a duplicate (only option it gave me).  I need to do 4 full backups per month using the same backup selection list.

Please see attachment.

Thanks

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on "Edit" under the Backup stage. On the left pane, choose Schedule on the right-side, choose "Add a backup job" and here you can add another full.

Erin1998
Level 3

Thanks VJ, I found that.  It seems convoluded to be required to select edit to access of the options, when the front and center Add Stage dropdown only has the 4 limited options.

Something else I just noticed is that the first stage on a job isn't deletable.  I accidentally created a full backup, when I really just wanted an incremental, so I added an incremental stage and now want to delete the full stage, but it won't let me.  I don't want to recreate the job because I don't want to have to go through the pain of recreating the selection list again.  So is there a way to change this full backup to an incremental without recreating the job?

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Bacup Exec 2012 and 2014 require a full backup to be part of a job definition for incrementals (and in fact this full backup must have run at least once.)

We also do not recommend using an incremntal forever type scenario because it wil be costly in storage (over the long term) and if something accidentally breaks the 'forever' chain you may not be able to restor all or some of your required data.

Erin1998
Level 3

I use a combination of BTD and BTT to cover all scenarios.  So far, no consultant has been able to convince me that I should not still be using tapes that go offsite.  I back up from 5-25TB to tape a week.  I just can't get that unfortunate Titanic indicent ouf of my head.  Every ship is sinkable by someone if it's online/on water.

I do full backups to tape over the X Friday of the month, Weekly 1-3.  These are overwritten the next X Friday of the month.  On some of the data, on week 4, I do a permanent offsite backup that is never overwritten.  Some of the data will get overwritten on the next 4th Friday of the month, in the Weekly 4 job.  During the week, I do Mon-Thursday incrementals and they are overwritten every other week - Daily 1 and Daily 2.  The cost of tapes is minimal because they are reused.  I probably use them too long, because knock on wood, I've never had a tape restore failure in 20 years.  I have had to recover servers and shares with this method and it has always worked.  With that said, tapes are pretty slow and the libraries are glitchy, so I now have additional BTD layers.

I have shadow copies running on all of my servers and some Storage Craft BTD solutions on others that I want very fast recovery times on.  I also run BE BTD jobs on my main servers as an additional backup in case the shadow copies, Shadow Protect, or tape job fail.  I like redundancy and with the way my network is set up, the cost is pretty minimal for the layer of protection the company has.  I reuse tapes until they are dead and I have super cheap online storage.

So with this all said, I want to recreate the BE 2010 scenario in BE 2014, because it worked so well.  I am always open to change though, so fill me in if you see a better way for me to do things and still get my data offsite.

Thanks