cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Strategy Advice

Timothy_Trace
Level 3
Greetings,

I need advice on configuring a backup-to-disk strategy. Can you help?

I've got about 250GB of data to protect. Incrementals run about 3GB.

The backup-to-disk server has a 600GB RAID-10 SATA 150 array.

A full backup every 2 weeks, with daily incrementals, seems to be the way to go. But if my math is correct, at the start of the full backup on the 3rd week, the set from two weeks prior would be erased, and I would have only 1 complete backup set on the array.

Is there any way to improve those odds?

Thanks,

Tim ==
4 REPLIES 4

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

In the third week when you take the next full backup, all the previous incrementals as well as the full backup become redundant and can be overwritten.
To increase the reliability you may copy the backup using the duplicate backup function to tapes since it is not advisable to rely on a single disk.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Timothy_Trace
Level 3
Thank you Renuk, how do you Duplicate a backup-to-disk set to tape?

Will the duplicate tapes contain...

...individual files and folders, which can be restored directly?

...or the backup-to-disk files, which must be restored themselves, before the individual files and folders can be restored?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
By specifying a Duplicate job, you can perform a restore directly from the tape(s) rather than having to restore the tapes to disk and then restoring your selections from there

In effect, the tapes contain the same data that would have been there had the original backup been taken to tape rather than to disk.

Timothy_Trace
Level 3
Thank you Ken!