cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Strategy to Disk Advice

abernut
Level 3

In an effort to get rid of tape backups we have purchased two synology disk stataions and placed them at different locations.

Up until now I have been doing full backups every night to tape, 245GB.

When I configure the new disk back ups should I create folders for each day (Monday, Tuesday, etc..) and a folder for Monthly.  And then create a disk storage for each folder.  Or do I just create one folder (Backups) and dump everything there.

Due to my connection speed I would also like to implement Full backups on Friday and Incrementals the rest of the days.  If I go this route do I create one job that has the full backup and then add a stage for the incrementals?

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can only have one disk storage per volume (although if using them in NAS mode you could create lots of separate shares, however this would not really be not worth the effort and complication of setup - also  see next point too)

If these disk stations  have a choice between NAS configuration and SAN  (iSCSI LUN) configuration then you will be better off with the SAN style setup, if you have to use NAS mode then, for ease of authentication setup, make sure the devices are added to the domain that the Backup Exec server is running in.

For the jobs you create a single job definiton that contains both full and incremental jobs against the same selection and then adjust thr schedules of the two job templates for your daily and weekly requirements.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

You can only have one disk storage per volume (although if using them in NAS mode you could create lots of separate shares, however this would not really be not worth the effort and complication of setup - also  see next point too)

If these disk stations  have a choice between NAS configuration and SAN  (iSCSI LUN) configuration then you will be better off with the SAN style setup, if you have to use NAS mode then, for ease of authentication setup, make sure the devices are added to the domain that the Backup Exec server is running in.

For the jobs you create a single job definiton that contains both full and incremental jobs against the same selection and then adjust thr schedules of the two job templates for your daily and weekly requirements.

abernut
Level 3

Here is how my current setup looks.

You will notice that each job points to a storage (FridayDS, MondayDS, etc...).  These are just individual folders on the disk station.

120px_backups.jpg

abernut
Level 3

backups.jpg

VJware
Level 6

It will be easier if you create just one Disk Storage (instead of sub-folders/shares) and let Backup Exec manage the backup sets accordingly.

And then setup the backup job with 1 Full and 1 Incr stage.