cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup account doesn't work unless it is in the Administrators group

C__Matthew_Wood
Not applicable
I started receiving this error after I removed my backup account from the Administrators group:

Unable to initialize the snapshot because the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) is not installed on the target computer. You must install this option, restart the computer, and then run the job again.

I have seen the other posts that list the privileges that the account needs in the Default Domain Controller policy (act as part of the OS, backup files and dirs, create tokens, manage auditing, restore files and dirs) and they were granted for my account. It is also in the Backup Operators account. If I put the account back in the admin group, everything works fine.

I am using Windows Server 2003, Domain Controller, DNS, WINS, IIS, mySQL, PHP, etc...

It seems like a security risk to have the account in the Admin group so is there a trick to getting BE to run without that membership?

Thanks,

Matt
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Your point has been made to Veritas - now Symantec - since at least v7.0 that I know of. REPEATEDLY

They have always said that the BackupExec service account needs to be a Domain Admin.

Seems like BackupOperators ought to work for backups, but I can see needing an Admin account to do restores.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue...

Thank You,

Shweta