cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup cancelled by user

travisf
Level 2
Hello- I've been having problems with Backup Exec 11d 6235 (installed updates SP3, Hot fix 35, Hot Fix 36), backing up to a Dell VST 160 Tape Drive. The backups are cancelling with the following message: "Completed status: Canceled The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped." Errors are listed as follows: "Completed status: Canceled The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped." The last successful backup ran for 22 hours before completing successfully (when it normally took 7). After this, I've been getting the same error messages and cancelled backups. Nothing changed between the last successful backup and the first failed backup, and the current amount of data is actually LESS than the last successful backup. I've been digging around trying to find solutions for a week about this issue, any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Travis

Open Backup Console, click on Tools-> Alert Categories, select Media Request alert from the list. On the right hand side at the bottom check how the alert is configured. Looking at the error message I guess it is configured to respond with "Cancel" , change it to "YES" and also change the time to respond the alert.

travisf
Level 2
I didn't see Media Request, but there was Media Insert.  I changed that to repond with Yes and set it at clear alert after 1 minute.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds as if your backup has grown to exceed one tape volume.

Check to see if the tag end of the data shows in the catalog

travisf
Level 2
I've been wondering that myself.  I'm working on this remotely, and had made the assumption that the tapes were 80/160; the compression ratio is showing as 1.03:1 under the media set.  I'm backing up 87gb of data.  It had previously been backing up just fine on the same tapes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Compression is highly dependent on the type of files that are being backed up.  The user just need to save a big jpeg or a movie and the compression ratio can go down fast.  80 GB is the uncompressed capacity of your tape.  The amount of data and the compression ratio indicated by you means that it is highly probable that that the backup job needs a second tape.

When you set to clear the Media Insert alert after 1 min., the job will fail since you did not insert the second tape.  If you don't set it to clear then the job will wait until the next day when you can respond to the alert by inserting an overwriteable tape.